Help finding a company?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Halfdeadly, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You will see in this business you need to be flexable. There's lots you cannot control. So you roll with the flow. Lots and lots of people telling you what to do. And you at their mercy. But when you climb into your truck, nobody telling you what to do. Just you and the highway, right ? Go with W.E. then re=evaluate 6 months from now.

bryan21384, Chinatown and Halfdeadly Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    When Western interviews you, on the phone or in person, be positive and happy to be offered a job. You won't regret it.

Halfdeadly and bryan21384 Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Dude, don't be depressed. You've got a company in Western Express that will take you. You need some experience. I started my driving career with them in 2010. Sure the pay was low, in terms of cents per mile(cpm), but they made up for it with lots of miles. Don't look at reviews when researching companies. That's not real research. Most drivers only leave reviews when they can't cut it at said company.

Remember one thing: trucking is all about what you put into it. It doesn't matter what company. People talk a lot of trash about Western Express but if you go there now, and get a year experience in, the next job you have will see it, and you have verifiable experience. That makes Western as valuable as any company.

I did flatbed when I was there. You'll be with one trainer for a month. You'll see the entire country with a quickness because they go everywhere. I was running California and back with regularity. I hardly ever had to wait for a load. They kept me real busy. Sometimes it was hard to get home on time, but i worked through that. I made good money and ran some good miles there. If you keep your head down, do what's asked of you and run the miles, you'll do fine there. It's as good as anywhere to start and gain experience. Don't pay attention to the naysayers or the reviews. Write your own story, call back Western, and hit the road. You don't gain experience by sitting at home and being depressed.

Jamie01, Halfdeadly and rollin coal Thank this.
  5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It takes 3 years for an accident to fall off. Stop looking so far ahead. Look at what's in front of you. Start with getting experience. Plan on doing one year for now. When your year is up, put some feelers out there. Keep a good attitude, hone your skills, and take everything one load at a time. First things first....let's worry about today.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    Jamie01, Halfdeadly and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Halfdeadly

Halfdeadly Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2024
    I lurked here a lot before making my account today and i just want to greatly appreciate all of you who chimed in. You could’ve just scrolled past and said nothing but you’re all so helpful and forth coming with information in this field to anyone you come across. So again i thank all of you! I’ll give western a call in the morning.

Kyle G. and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    A "year of experience" only gets you into the realm of being hireable by other trucking companies that truthfully aren't really a step above Western Express. Focus on the long term and put in several years at ONE company. For that, Western Express is as good as any other. If they'll give you that shot take it. Drive safe. Take your job serious. Strive for a clean record always. Don't run over #### or into anyone. Then, in a few years time, you'll have your pick of companies with easy work that pay $100k+ with solid benefits and get you home like a normal person. Three or four years will go by faster than you think. And your resume rises to the top while everyone else's gets tossed in the trash. Your GOOD attitude will get you a lot farther in this industry than listening to a bunch of lazy whiny ### drivers crying about everything. Roll with the punches..

bryan21384, Speedy356 and Halfdeadly Thank this.
  8. Halfdeadly

Halfdeadly Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2024
    Thank you man fr from the bottom of my heart.
    I knew you guys here would tell me exactly what i needed to hear! When i’m out on the road i will ALWAYS come back to this thread as a starting point and reread all the words of courage and wisdom you all have shared with me.
    I appreciate it greatly. Thank you.

rollin coal, Kyle G. and bryan21384 Thank this.
  9. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    The best thing to do with WE is.....don't run with OTHER WE drivers. I've noticed quite a few of them seem to drive aggressively (the ones on their way towards washing-out).

10. The one california kid

The one california kid Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    IF you really want to be a driver, you can do it, don't write it off yet! Maybe just put it aside for now and let some time slip by. Because.... When I was 16-17 I got so many tickets, speeding, contest of speed, failure to obey traffic signals, reckless driving ,(that one was making a right turn from a dead stop and squealing my back wheels during the turn) I know, wreckless driving? That one I tore the ticket up in front of him and that kinda pissed him off. Anyways, all that caught up to me at 19 and the DMV took my license away. I had to work so I applied for a work only restricted license and got one. Then one night out cruising around on my trail/street bike I got pulled over two blocks away from home, since I wasn't going to or coming from work, they impounded my bike and I went to jail. At that time I thought I'd never ever get to be a trucker. So I worked various local warehouse jobs and time and life flew by. So 13yrs after the DMV stuff, I kept s clean record, never had any DUI's (that's very important to companies) although I had a friend who I financed him through truck school and he got a job driving, even though he had two DUI's in his past. So anyways, keep your head up and lighten up on the gas pedal, have fun with all the beautiful girls you can and keep getting your mvr record once a year. When you finally don't see any tickets or accidents on your DMV record then start applying, though most companies will want you to go thru a school or thru their own training. Don't give up on it, cause it's possible!

Halfdeadly Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.