Help! Need To Haul My Truck Home.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TopDog20, Feb 16, 2019.

1. TopDog20

TopDog20 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    They claim that they did the tests but all I can do is take their word for it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
  4. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Did you find the problem?

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If you don’t have the money to fix it then how are you going to have the money to fix it after you pay to have it hauled home?

What do you owe on the truck? What’s a 2013 Cascadia that needs an overhaul worth? Dump it and get a different truck unless you’re upside down in this one.

6. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Like Long said, you need to evaluate what you have wrapped up in the truck.

Is this a freightliner dealership? If not then bite the bullet and have it towed to a dealership. Yes it's expensive, but they also have to warranty their work.

Next do you owe anything on the truck? Can you use the title as collateral for money to rebuild the motor?

Do you have your own business set up? Business acct?
    I know a few lenders that deal with working capital, and small refinancing.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  7. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I pull an rgn/lowboy. Average freight rate is well above $3 a mile....

8. TopDog20

TopDog20 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Yes, I do own my own company and I have collateral. I also am a women own business so maybe I might qualify for a special interest loan. Would appreciate you sending me any info/contacts on the lenders you know. Thank you

9. TopDog20

TopDog20 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Yes, I think I am going to rent a recker and just go get my truck myself. I am starting to see that would be the most cost effective.

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  10. TopDog20

TopDog20 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Little by little.

11. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Let us know how you make out, I have yet to find a wrecker for rent cheaper than hiring a transport company once you factor in the deadhead cost to get to the truck, lost time and other miscellaneous expenses.

Do you have another truck to use the tow hitch rental? No one rents complete wreckers, heck most folks can't find a rental tow hitch easily.

Ryder or Penske rental tractor is going to require a $5,000 or more deposit plus cost $125-150 a day and mileage.

Do you know how to tow a tractor without damage, it is easy but does require some skill and knowledge to avoid mistakes.

Also, be prepared to pay the shop your truck is at storage, most garages charge daily rates if you leave a vehicle there and they don't get the repair, our fee is $75 a day, and don't expect them to be very helpful loading any parts that are removed, they may even make you have a local wrecker tow it off property. Many shops will not let a non-licensed wrecker load on their property due to liability and injury concerns. My shop, well former shop, requires proof of workers compensation insurance to allow a tow company load in our yard, otherwise there is a gate fee to move it to public property where we are not liable for injury.

Not giving you a hard time, I sympathize with the position you are in, just pointing out stuff I have learned over the last 30 years in the towing, trucking and repair business.

Best wishes and good luck.

Ruthless, rabbiporkchop and TopDog20 Thank this.
  12. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yeah, I was just guessing, don't follow rates anymore now that I don't own trucks. Perhaps she could find someone willing to help, or take a backhaul rate, but doubtful to load a non-runner cheap.

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.