Highway Thru Hell: Mark Miller hits another one out of the park

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Runawayscreaming, Nov 24, 2017.

1. DDS60

DDS60 Light Load Member

I can’t stand to watch any of those shows. They are an insult to Canadian truck drivers. Especially ice road truckers. Been hiding here in mb because they are kicked from other provinces.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Runawayscreaming

Runawayscreaming Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Amiskwaciy Waskahikan
    Almost all the death and destruction in the early episodes of Highway Thru Hell is provided by Transnational Migrant Workers.

I agree the editing in Ice Road Truckers was done to fit a pre-determined story line and was sometimes the exact opposite of what happened in reality. Highway Thru Hell, on the other hand, is documentary-style and sticks to the facts.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    IRT was ok in the first 2 seasons. A bit over the top but ok nonetheless. After watching the deadliest roads spinoff I lost all respect for the show.

"Let's drive through burning brush piles!"

"Yeah and when the air filter catches fire lets just stop and hold it to the floor for 15 minutes. That'll be great for ratings!"

5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I drove Michigan chip truck, and log truck. It's esay.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Highway 5 north of Kamloops and 16 to the BC/AB border looks like it got hit hard last week. They were just wrapping up a recovery by the bridge over the railway by Moose Lake. Looked like a truck went over the bank on the east side of the bridge. Couldn't tell if it landed on the tracks though. Then between Barriére and Kamloops I spotted what I believe was a heavy haul truck over the bank south of Fishtrap rest area. All I could see was what looked like a tandem booster attached to a lowbed, the rest was too far down to see. 5 minutes south of there at Walterdale another truck blew off the highway and ended up on a farmer's field. Probably a good 70-80 foot drop on that one.

7. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I'm with you there.
    Pull it regularly and never spin out or any problems.
    Usually doing it while over 150, 000 lbs as well. Throw on the Tryggs and just keep driving.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I like a highway that appears to fight. Everything from Mother Nature Avalanches to squabbling among tow drivers for rotation. Although I wished Jamie will just buy a big rotator cash all in and stop worrying about costs other than insurance, fuel, tags, people to run it and feed it parts and cables.

Your picture is very formidable.

I fall back onto a story of a storm east of Denver on our I-70 There were two people inside a DOT Scale House a inspection station for big trucks. One day they had a epic winter storm come through. Now out here on the Plains you really have to be VERY careful about Plains Snow storms.

It was to be roughly 3 days going on 4 when a State Highways equipment made it to them. They had been completely buried in 22 some odd feet of snow on the first day of the storm and then drifted higher thant hat. The only markers of their existence was several light poles around their lot.

I don't know what anyone else thinks but when I see that picture of the completely and utter closed highway like that, I have to ponder a question. Why does no one build arctic cats lightfooted enough to carry enough freight to be worth it.

Note, I said light footed enough and able to shoulder adequate tonnage to be worth the trouble. And a side note, why are we not using hybrid treads or adapting to similar?

9. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    What people see on television is often so far from reality that they are basically polar opposites. They tried hard to make Adam out as some sort of hero which if you knew him, would realize is total BS. The guy is a disaster looking for a place to happen, and the best thing that ever happened for Davis towing was him leaving. Then they went out of their way to make the step son look like a fool, but he is a good young man who is a lot more tolerant than I ever would have been. I would have beat that fat jerk Adam to a pulp. I do not usually ever condone violence but if anyone deserves a good beating it is that fat jerk. I came really close to losing it on him on the side of the hwy about 6 years ago. He thinks because he is fat, he is all mighty god himself and can bully everyone. I was shocked by how stupid he is, the guy can barely put together a coherent sentence, and knows jack squat about trucking. Yet he considers himself some sort of wizard in the trucking world, and the wisest person on earth. Being a loud mouth bully is all he is capable of, besides eating enough food for 8 normal people so he can weigh 500 lbs.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am reluctant to give anyone on television a hard time. There are three I like alot, Gord (The small one that goes with Sammy wtih Davis and Bruce (Hes passed on I think.) I supposed I enjoyed that old tow truck more than I enjoyed anything due to the memories it brings back for me. (Non towing that is...)

If anyone would be close to having a personality issue with me it will be that shop creature in the back who essentially does what he wants when Jamie finally goes in there with a list of cable spools to fix like today. I would love to keep that one in the shop and maybe find a incentive to get him to actually take care of something rather important today.

Towing is something I did not get into but I have had a taste of crane work. Nothing formal training mind you. Just enough to lift stuff from trailer onto the ground late at night when no one was around to take delivery. (That was a interesting night. A whole mill empty except one suit whose job is essentially to count supplies consumed that day through the night to make more orders which result in trucks like me arriving to deliver. To his credit the suit actually came out and gave me a hand. Between the two of us doing things we never trained for we got it done in oh about 20 minutes. Not pretty but done.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.