Hours of service questions and answers

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LogsRus, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Half a Load

Half a Load Light Load Member

Yeah, but not everyone plays by the rules. I'm just not giving them any ammunition.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Half a Load

Half a Load Light Load Member

If I was a speculator, I'd be on wall street making the big bucks. But I would like to see them change the rule to 12 on 12 off, no matter if you're driving or on duty not driving, just make it 12 on and 12 off, 7 days a week, forget the 70hr/8 days rule, just 12 on, 12 off. Wouldn't that make life simple? I know it won't happen, just voicing my opinion. How many 9-5 jobs do they expect you to work 14 hours, and if they asked, you'd say no way. It's a strange industry we're in!

4. Amberlight

Amberlight Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Simi Valley, CA
    You'll never violate hours on duty if use this pattern -
    driving 5.5 hr, 2 hr sleeper in berth, driving 5.5 hr., 8 hr sleeper in berth, driving 5.5 hr, and so on.
    If You use this pattern You won't violate 14 hr rule and "split break" rule.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    AH ha!! The "secret" emerges!! :biggrin_25514:

If only the world would now conform to pattern... :biggrin_25510:

6. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    While not doubting what you stated, are you restricted from looking prior to the last 7 days? If so it seems somewhat a handicap. For example some time back (Old rules 10 and 8) we had a gentleman who 9 days prior to being stopped logged in to the sleeper in Tallahassee FL. The next morning (8 days prior to stop) he went on duty and then driving in Memphis TN (Same tractor and trailer). Apparently his misguided brain told him no one would spot this, and if anyone did they would just assume Captain Kirk had simply beamed him to Memphis. His 7 days looked good, and he even had a BOL with date and time (All fake) which could place him where he was stopped and inspected. There was no 34 hr reset in those days, and the driver showed on duty and driving hours each day of the past 7 and he also voluntarily produced a recap showing 10 or 11 hrs remaining. At a minimum we decided he falsified 8 days prior and therefore day 7 through the day of the stop was falsified.

I don't believe that a cursory look at days further back than 7 is inappropriate, but agency or department policy rules. But then again if it's in your hands and you inadvertently see something...

Best regards

7. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    If he was dumb enough to keep those older log pages after pulling that stunt he deserved to get caught.

8. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    An audit by the DOT on the company could catch that mistake...and they can hang driver and company for it.

9. kehaunani64

kehaunani64 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2009
    crandon, wi
    Still leaves unaccountable hours!! Think team with the current rule-a team member has 12 hours to drive ultimate 11 hours. Solo driver has 14 hours to drive ultimate 11 hours. Please note I did not subtract vi, fuel, def, load/unload time. Whoever is figuring out these formulas, really does need to think sleeper berth with teams. A solo parks his truck and sleeps (I am not saying he's doing it for 8 hours uninterrupted-they have backed their log up!!!) Who the hell can sleep through a drop and hook?? But yet expect them to go down the road for long periods of time-as if they are getting quality sleep, like the guy that can just park it and get 2-3 hours of quiet sleep. Split sleeper berth it the way to go.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  10. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Well sure it could and with less than 2% of companies receiving compliance reviews per year, and a small percent of drivers of these companies reviewed, most hot drivers know there is more to fear from a lightning strike than a CR. Most compliance reviews are focused because of an event or events (Post accident, fatalities etc). But my point was not to get enforcement to look farther or harder, but rather to comment that many states do look past 7 days. Many inspectors look at today to be sure you are where you can be, a day or two ago, some back seven, but it's not uncommon for them to look at as many days prior to the last 7 that a driver gives them.

Best regards

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  11. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    But if I hand you my logbook and still have the last 12 or 13 days in there you can site for anything I give you can you not?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.