Hours of service questions and answers

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LogsRus, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn

I know it was two months ago but here is your answer:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=395.8&guidence=Y

Question 6: How should multiple short stops in a town or city be recorded on a record of duty status?

Guidance: All stops made in any one city, town, village or municipality may be computed as one. In such cases the sum of all stops should be shown on a continuous line as on-duty (not driving).The aggregate driving time between such stops should be entered on the record of duty status immediately following the on-duty (not driving) entry. The name of the city, town, village, or municipality, followed by the State abbreviation where all the stops took place, must appear in the “remarks” section of the record of duty status.

Translated means you can log the amount of time on duty first and then place all the driving immediately afterward.

Raiderfanatic Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Breeze

The Breeze Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Fayetteville, NC
    I know how confusing this can be. It took me forever to get my head around it but, now that I understand it helps tremendously on some days.

It may be helpful to you if you look at some of my older posts in this thread.

4. osokusmc

osokusmc Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2011
    SD
    I think what I'm gathering is that my second break of 2 hours does reset my 11/14, but starting at the end of the 8 hour sleeper break, not at the end of the 2 hour break. I couldn't imagine I'd be able to legally run nearly 22 hours of driving with only 2 hours of break in between.

5. Saienga

Saienga Medium Load Member

Jul 28, 2009
    You've got it. At the end of 2, the beginning of your 11/14 moves to the end of your 8-hour sleeper. Something else to remember here: the 2 hour break doesn't suspend the 14 clock. It keeps burning for those two hours.

So if your 8 hour sleeper ended at 0800, and then you drove for 10 and went straight to your 2 hour sleeper, it'd be 2000 when you got up again, and you'd have until 2200 to finish that last hour of drive time. (2200-0800=14, of course).

6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    1 last thing to remember..........

Even though you understand, and execute the split logging regulations correctly,

the officier that checks your logs may NOT !!!!

Just a heads up..........

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  7. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Unfortunately--THIS IS SO TRUE--b4 these new hours of service came out-(11/14--10off--34off)-things were much more cut and dry--I cant remember once in the 25 years I was out here(the old way)where any LEO--had trouble checking logs and knowing what they meant--Now--I have heard every possible scenario by different DOT officers--when they first came out--I asked quite a few for their take on the new rules--off time split sleeper--and came up with as many answers as people I questioned--So in my case I keep them very simple and refuse to use any of the extension/split provisions provided--I am NOT saying you can't or shouldn't--but like the above poster said be very careful--and darn sure of the provision if you use it!
    Just my$.02

8. Froggi

Froggi Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Montgomery, AL
    Forgive me if this information is already somewhere in this thread, but 40 pages of log book stuff is a bit intimidating to a non-driver. My bf drives and I'm trying to understand the rules. I consider myself to be fairly intelligent, but #### if all these hour rules are making any sense to me. I pretty much understand the 11- and 14-hour rules. And I thought I understood the 70-hour rule, but now it's being questioned.

Can someone please clarify for me... is there any exception to the 70-hour rule? I thought once a driver had reached the 70-hour limit, that a 34 hour break was required. Is there any exception to this rule that allows for more hours?

9. Froggi

Froggi Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Montgomery, AL

SAMPLE LOG:
    1.) 5.25
    2.) 8.50
    3.) 7.75
    4.) 8.50
    5.) 8.25
    6.) 10.00
    7.) 11.00

Total Hours: 59.25

Hours available today: 10.75

Hours worked today: 8.50

So, if 67.75 hours have been logged in eight days, how can a dispatcher say that there are eight more hours left to drive tomorrow?

Can someone please shed some light? Thanks!

10. musicmaker

musicmaker Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Fort Madison, IA
    because at midnight you will pick up 8.5 hours

11. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa

We have a 60 hour 7 day rule and a 70 hour 8 day rule on the books. They actually supercede the 34 hour reset provision.

Old timers that ran for a company that operated 7 days a week would have to wait until the 8th day at midnight to get hours back to drive. Under the new rules we are allowed to take 34 hours off and then get back a full 70 hours.

Just remember these rules apply to "driving." You can "work" more than 70 hours in any week as long as you do not "drive" a cmv once you reach that thresh hold.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.