Hovering people

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Shaggy, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I always get them gosh darn 'nose whistlers' behind me. At the food market, I get the retired old geezers that do the wannabe lip whistle thing. :yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    Well, I am a trucker's wife, and when I go anywhere in my Buick, I stop at truck stops..... I feel safer in the truck stops.

4. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    That's odd... I always get the ones carrying on a conversation then I realize they don't have a bluetooth on....:biggrin_2554: nor are they talking to me...:biggrin_2554:

allniter Thanks this.
  5. Stillwater

Stillwater Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2009
    nc

I have done this turned around and started talking to strange people who get too close in line, it takes them off guard completely, lol, it is funny, my dh says I'll talk to any body, and it makes them start moving back some when you start asking them their name, how their doing, where they're going, etc... I think some times people can be traveling and just forget that they are getting too close to other people in line, (not all the ones who do this of course, but some of them especially the ones who are sleepy or have kids traveling with them)

Anyway, if nothing else if the person answers you and talks you might get to talk to somebody different for a few minutes before getting back in your truck or other vechicle.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  6. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought I was the only one who got uptight when people crowded me. I can actually get panicked if they crowd to much so I have to turn and say "step back you're crowding me". People get mad but most the time they move.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  7. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    LOL! When I go downtown to Atlanta, I sometimes see that scraggly nutjob walking down the sidewalk waving his/her arms and having an argument at 110 decibels with some ghost...always worry that one of those guys will be behind me in line some day!

8. pandapowerz

pandapowerz Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    When I rode the subway to work I sometimes ran into a truly crazy person that needed her space, big time. She would be sitting in a seat in the middle of the train, yelling at people near the door, close to 15 feet away, to back off. That was always a show. The last time I remember us speeding off while she shook her fist at the train yelling at the top of her lungs because of all the people getting close to her. An epic display of craziness.

But I hate being crowded, I turn around and say "18 inches of space, give me it". Most are off in la la land so they probably didn't know they were crowding you.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  9. Avenger29

Avenger29 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have to have my personal space. Three feet around is ideal, I really don't like any less than that. I clear it out by using a bad attitude. I also work in an often crowded environment, yet manage to keep people away from me. I don't want people touching me, I don't want to smell their odors (and i don't want to offend anyone with my odors if I have been sweating or with my lunch breath).

Also, when not at work, I have more at risk than many. I carry a concealed handgun (Glock 17) because I take my personal security very seriously. One of my responsibilities is retention of my weapon at all times. Also, keeping a space clear means I have room to draw if necessary and I have time and space to react to an attack (i.e., block the attack and draw).

Joetro, Shaggy and miseryonwheels Thank this.
  10. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Ha! I accidentally brushed a lady cop one day at a fast food joint, and you'd think I'd held her up at gunpoint; she dropped away and down with a hand on her gun as if I'd tried to steal it.
    Too nervous for that job, I think.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  11. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Might have just been that time of the month and she was a little grouchy!:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.