How can u go to a private CDL school and pay the bills at same time?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by LeavinHome2018, Jul 5, 2018.

1. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    4 years -

Puppage Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    Pretty much. Welcome to trucking ha

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    160 hr. cdl school is 4 weeks long.
    I think there's a cheap one on Los Angeles; Khan D' Kulia Trucking School.
    Check on it, then call some companies and ask if they would hire you as a graduate from that school.
    Freymiller is a decent outfit that hires from most 160 hr. schools.

5. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    Go to your counties unemployment office. Ask them about the WIA program. It is called something different in each statw, but 8f you describe it they will know what you are talking about.

The WIA program is a grant given to those who are low income or unemployed. They pay for your school to get you re-trained in a specific field, like cdl training. You won't get paid, but you pay nothing out of pocket. Mine covered classes, learners permit, physical, tests, and cdl. They even threw in gas money.

I worked part time cleaning medical offices, while doing this.

Samuelh and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  7. Lab work

Lab work Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    Look on Cl for a wealthy girl. Call her, take her out. Be romantic then ask her if she would like to see America. If she says yes. You are set.

Going Concern Thanks this.
  8. LeavinHome2018

LeavinHome2018 Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2018
    hey i missed this the other day think
    im try to do this !!
    thanks again

9. LeavinHome2018

LeavinHome2018 Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2018
  10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    No idea. Try calling. 2500 bucks in 2004.
    Probably double or triple by now.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I got my Class A (In the 80's long before the 1991 CDL laws...) by going to weekend school over 4 months. Whatever hours that came out to I don't know or care. But during the week, Im up early in the morning getting the tavern ready for wages.

Everything worked out well with one little exception.

A little bit of gas, a pack of smokes and signing a 2500 dollar Uncle Sam Student Loan Note in the school office prior to class.

Now my first employer was paying me NET 2500 a month after withholding. You would think I paid off Uncle Sam first. But noooo... sheesh. story of my life. (If I knew now what I needed to learn then being so young, I would have squared the debt with Dear Uncle Sam first.

Believe it or not we both went back to school again after trucking back in the 2000's Only this time everything is grotesquely expensive. $46000 dollars bought one a 4 year degree that was worthless because 20,000 others had the exact same thing with only a total of a few hundred to a few thousand of openings in govt etc state wide. And part of a two year which I cut losses and burnt when I found out Arkansas brought in India workers to do my exact work, learn it and go back home and open schools to teach others on the other side of the world.

THAT was paid off early on a 15 year term. I think 9 years max. And all of it paid back. They actually did NOT want to see us pay them off in full. They resisted. But finally took it and gave us our paper saying free and clear.

Some schooling. Ugh.

My best work is when it's time to go back OTR again after resting, decompressing etc at home. I would go to a fast food joint etc and do dishes every night all night for a period of some months. Next thing you know there is anywhere from 1 to 3 thousand cold cash. Ready to stake the next orientation. Let's roll. No comchecks, tolls etc.

When spouse went to school, we paid all of our bills for the house etc. The company paid half up front I think it was and other other 1800 should go away within a year. We called the debtor on that 1800 a month prior to a year to double check on that money to make sure it's really going away, they told us it was intended to go into collections instead due to a colossal screw up. Pulled out a bank card and paid it on the spot. Poof. Bill all gone bye bye. (It's easier to do when you are a salaried trainer with said student spouse...) Its a very good thing we double checked against that debt.

As far as house and stuff. Once you have three months saved. Then save 6 months, then 9 months then a year. At that point You should be able to take whatever few thousand out of that pile and stick it into the trucking school of your choice (Don't fail) and get that CDL etc all there. (That costs more with the endorsements, fees etc)

Keep saving constantly. One day like 9-11 will come along and utterly destroy income as it did for us that horrible day. Being told we might go a few months without a check (Which will be all caught up when finally reorganized with a new payroll team) meant we fall back onto our savings to keep the medicines moving. Or go home for a few months and sit on unemployment that wont cover everything.

Everything in my money thinking before 9-11 and after are two completely different lives. I always try to have something set aside against a bad day each month. Eventually enough good months pass and walia! Lookie here piles of cash. (Whoa there...)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.