How cold is it when you idle all night?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Fester69, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Trucail

Trucail Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    A lot of new trucks will not idle between 20 and 85 degrees. (but there are ways around it) We have an APU but outside of those temps it doesn't work that great, so idling is necessary. We live in it, and will be comfortable.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    bikertrash61 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucail

Oct 27, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    What a huge waste!

JOHNQPUBLIC Thanks this.
  4. TRKRSHONEY

TRKRSHONEY Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Hubby & I don't drive for Schneider either, I say the 'new topic' on the sidebar. I would think any company that operated in the northern regions would want their drives to treat the fuel rather than to waste fuel by idling or to have to pay when the fuel gels. As I stated earlier, spending an additional $5-6 per fill-up to add anti-gel has kept our truck running in temps below 0 for the last 4 years. And we are able to maintain our fuel economy, making for a better profit.

Trucail Thanks this.
  5. carrkool

carrkool Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2012
    adah, pa
    if i idle my truck for 24 hrs straight it cost me 20 bucks in fuel...a waste to be comfortable i think not.....but hey i own the truck, i buy the fuel, and i am not losing any money anti gels will help but not always....when its real cold you need the fuel moving and staying warm....

truckon Thanks this.
  6. Trucail

Oct 27, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    You didn't state only in real cold weather, do you idle all the time? If my trucks not rolling, my engine's not on, unless it's to stop my fuel from geling.

there's no way it only costs $20 for 24 hours of idling. Trucks burn a gallon an hour at idle, so it doesn't figure.

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  7. bikertrash61

bikertrash61 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I wouldn't work for anyone that told me I couldn't idle unless it was a certain temp. I can idle anytime or use the APU without any hassle from the owner. He pays for the fuel and I try to save when I can by not idling or using the apu, but like he always says, "I don't shut the heat or a/c off in my house so you do what you need to do to be comfortable and get the proper rest to be safe". I tend to listen to someone who's been doing this for almost 50yrs. Companies that won't put apu's on their trucks but won't let drivers idle either, shame on them. A little investment has saved the boss thousands over the past couple of years. Keep on truck'n!

nedayboyz Thanks this.
  8. TRKRSHONEY

TRKRSHONEY Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    As I stated earlier, our truck sat w/o idling at -16 for at least 6-8 hoursand didn't gel. To me, that's proof that it does work. You just have to use the right amount for the temps you are in.

9. Trucail

Oct 27, 2011
    Seattle, WA

It's not the company, the truck will not do it! It's how they're designed. But again, we have a APU so it doesn't matter. It will stay idling in extreme temps, so works for us!

10. WheelMan55

WheelMan55 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    I idle my truck when its below 15 degrees outside and im on my ten hour break if im on a 34 hour break ill start my truck up every 5-6 hours to warm the engine but I have a bunk heater in my truck if I didn't have a bunk heater I would idle my truck as long as I want to keep me warm if im in negative temps my truck doesn't shut off also if I know im going to be in colder temps below freezing I treat my fuel to prevent fuel gelling up

11. Fatboy42

Fatboy42 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Indiana
    I am an O/O and I will not get cold or too hot. I have a guy that works for me when I need an extra dump truck driver, he came in to haul snow. I had the truck started for him warming up. Told him we were on hold and I will take you to breakfast. He went and shut the truck off, I asked him why. He said he thought I would be mad if he wasted fuel. I told him that is not a waste, it is cold out and you will be warm. I dont shut the furnace off in my home when I leave so you keep truck running if you need to stay warm. I like to make money and hate to spend it but if I am that broke I cant run the truck to stay warm or cool Ill shut the doors.

91B20H8, moosc and AZS Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.