How did you learn to drive?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Giggles the Original, Apr 29, 2013.

How did YOU learn to drive??

1. *

self taught??

25.9%
  2. *

taught by family member

27.0%
  3. *

Private training

6.9%
  4. *

trucking school

31.6%
  5. *

Company Trained

10.9%
  1. AJDallas44

AJDallas44 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2013
    My path to OTR was surprisingly quick. I was in college in the mid-90s, and heard about a nationwide moving company that was looking for summer drivers. I'm grateful to that company, but I won't name them here because what I'm about to describe may sound incriminating.

They trained us for a few weeks in their flat Midwestern state, and then gave us the keys to our trucks. We had no over-the-road training. I drove for the remainder of the summer, and went back to college. That was the deal, they were willing to train us in return for 10 weeks of summer driving. It was all drop-and-hook. The local moving agents loaded, I picked them up and delivered to the destination agent.

On one hand, it's a bit insane that the first time I drove over any mountains was by myself. I ground the truck to a halt on a couple inclines - double-clutching up a mountainside wasn't something that could be taught in the Midwestern state where we were trained.

But the great mitigating factor is that household good freight is LIGHT. I never had to worry about the weight, never had to adjust the tandems, never went to a commercial scale. Also, the driving was entirely during the summer, so no ice/snow etc.

I had some funny stories to tell and some mishaps like not being able to double-clutch up the mountains. But I never had any really dangerous moments. It may not be a great idea, but I'm grateful to that company for giving this newbie his own truck four weeks after he started driving school.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lady_Truck

Lady_Truck Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I said CDL school- but that was after riding for a long time with a few friends and family members who drive. Then out with a trainer (an inadequate one), then being re-trained by my team partner (who lost a lot of sleep getting me up to snuff), then by running solo and making a LOT of mistakes, and then by asking other experienced drivers LOTS of questions..... and after three years, still learning every day.....

4. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    who said I ever learned?

5. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Learned to drive - tricycle, bicycles, motorcycles, cars, trucks in that order.

I had to make exhaust noise with my lips until I got to the motorcycle stage.

6. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.
    Still learning...I'm mostly self taught, so I didn't have a great teacher and have to unlearn a few things.

But the tying down, tarping and loading I learned as I went from the "old guys" They were like 40- something. Guess that makes me an old guy now.

7. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    I was born a truck driver.

No, really I was.

Freightlinerbob Thanks this.
  8. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    As a B.T.O. we put playing cards w/ clothes pins on the spokes.

9. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

c'mon gang........more stories.....there are tons of members on this site......lets hear how YOU learned how to drive....

10. dutchieinquebec

dutchieinquebec Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Granby.QC
    it was in Holland (the netherlands) i was 14 years young and passenger with my cousin and we did pick up a load in the north of holland going to belgium
    the truck was a 10 speed Scania Vabis,the load 30000kilo of chickenfood
    anyway after getting loaded it was to late to start soo we did go into a bar where my cousin gett soo dronk that other guys did help me to get him in his bed in the truck.
    the next morning at 5 the alarm went of and we had to go, but ehh he was not realy able to drive and told me to do it.
    ok, why not my first trip as driver of a big rig,and yes we did made it to belgium without problems.
    the good old days....

11. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Was about to post this--BUT--realized some folks couldn't even afford cards(of any kinds)but clothspins--those could be liberated rather easliy--LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.