How does this industry expect to get a 23yr driver to drive OTR

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Jay5GS, Aug 11, 2018.

1. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Just imagine a bunch of 18 year olds in mega trucks at 2am trying to park while coming down after a 14 hour Monster Energy fueled binge.

*shudder*

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    They don't. They can hire a newb for less wages and they still make money if they don't last a year.

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The OP didn't say a 23yr old driver but a 23yr driver....

Reminds me of the opendeck securement rules. One tiedown for every 10' or fraction of 10'. It dosn't say you need one _every_ 10 feet but _for every_.. Quite the difference.

5. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    23 year olds are still the attention deficit generation.

They must peruse their phones every 10 seconds for the latest instagram update or facebook notification.

Little do they realize the harsh reality of OTR life. Stuck in a truck stop, at 2 am, can't back your trailer up, and no-one to hold your hand.
    Who you going to call? your dispatcher? you're just truck number xxx and thats it.

These companies are shooting themselves in the foot.

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Pretty easy. Go after the ones who aren't college educated, fresh out of a five year stint in the military, tell them unrealistic figures, basically go after those who want a way out but have limited options. They sell them on steady income, $1000 per week, and maybe a fleece purchase. These companies know who to target

7. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    We already have drivers twice their age popping Stacker 2 pills(or doing drugs) doing that now!!! Lmao

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    When I was in my teens, 20’s and even 30’s I was so good looking that had I been driving OTR during those years I would have needed a couple of body guards to walk around safely. I guess most young people today are real fat so they’ll be ok.
    Robs ago I was coming back from Florida one night and stopped at the rest area by Jasper, TN and there was a freak that walked way over to use the sink right in front of the stall I was s€itting in. I pulled my pocket knife and was prepared to cut his head off but a group of college kids walked in and I bolted out of that stall and to my pickup and left.

Truck drivers are creepy.

bbq247365 and otterinthewater Thank this.
  9. Thunderhead Hawkins

Thunderhead Hawkins Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Can you be denied cdl for smoking marijuana if you live in a state that has leagal medical and you have a persciption to smoke? Reply to robbiegraham429@gmail.com thanks. Yall stay safe out there

10. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    Prescription or not, and regardless if it's legal in your state, you're not going to be given the green light to toke up and drive a rig. At least not to my knowledge.

11. Your question

23yrs experience driver : check
    Throw tons of money
    At me to drive for you:. Check

Any questions?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.