How Long Can We Expect To Drive Before Trucks and Cars are Automated?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DARKNIGHTRUCKER, Jul 14, 2020.

1. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Starsky robotics, a trucking company that had, by far, gone further to advance technology for self driving trucks went belly up in February. I wouldn't worry about it for the forseeable future.

88228822 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Yep. My understanding is 5g will be needed, for sure.

We have begun to build out the 5g infrastructure, but are running into issues. For starters we are not getting the range from 5g towers we thought we were going to get. The signal degrades too quickly.

So leaving aside all the problems we are having with self driving AI, its infrastructure isnt ready.

Look at 4g. Even after all this time its not all encompassing. Every now and then I get marooned on some God forsaken 3g tower and I cant hardly do anything.

4. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    So you mean to tell me these idiots with phones in their hand with AirPods in their ears are actually driving these cars haha i thought they were just testing out the kinks and a high accident rate was acceptable

5. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I hope they do ... . This is a trucking forum... and, we all know what he meant ...

6. Squeally

Squeally Bobtail Member

May 9, 2020
    Folks we are years and years away. I operate other machinery at my other job that is highly automated and complicated and I can tell you humans need to be in the loop. The machine just wants to do its own thing once in a while. You are the safety professional operating the truck and no computer can replace your good judgment and experience. Now I would be happy with a GPS that does not send me on a treasure hunt once in a while.

7. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    The point about inaccurate gps is valid. John Deere has gps technology that’s accurate down to a few centimeters. Why in the heck can we not have a gps for the road that is accurate? Proprietary? Cost prohibitive for the average joe? I dunno, maybe they keeping it for the automated trucks.
    Seems to me the driverless trucks are already on trains. That is at least a compromise, as drivers are needed to get freight to and from trains. California wants zero emissions trucks in the near future. So when the train gets to Cali, maybe the Cali’s can show up with a wheel barrow to offload the freight. Even electric trucks ultimately have emissions, the electricity has to be generated some place.
    Seems to me there is a faction that wants all of us to just be cube scrollers....someone that sits in a cubicle and scrolls on a phone. Someone has to get the work done....it ain’t the cube scrollers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.