How many drivers bring pets on the road with them (advice needed)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by IMSAkid, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Reverend Blair

Reverend Blair Light Load Member

May 30, 2011
    Winnipeg, MB
    Used to have a shepherd that bit at oncoming traffic...some kind of depth-perception game she invented all by herself. She was a handful in a half-ton, and downright hilarious in a Triumph Spitfire, but likely not a good choice for long-haul drivers.

Keep in mind that as well as breed, each individual dog has its own personality and little quirks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hup

hup Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Missoula, MT
    I bring my 80lb dog.. She's very mellow & well-behaved. Kind of a couch potato. If she wan't this way, I wouldn't bring her along.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

CondoCruiser, nobody needs a seatbelt except during the wreck they didn't expect to have. Same with a leash. My dog never needed to be yanked away from danger while on the road, but a leash is a much smaller hassle than dealing with a pet that's been run over, or mostly run over. I can't think of a downside to putting the pet on a leash when out of the truck. You never have to worry if someone will hassle you about a leash law either.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    My dog knows not to go into the road. Even if he's playing with another dog and that other dog takes off into the road, my dog sits in the grass and waits for the other dog to return before resuming play. He won't chase cats, bunnies, or squirrels into the road, either...when they make it to the pavement, he stops the chase.

A benefit to having a well trained dog? I let the dog out, point him to a grassy area, and I fuel the truck while he takes care of his "business". When he's done, he makes his way back over to the truck and climbs in...he's got the timing down pretty well, and he's usually making his way back as I'm finishing up pumping the fuel....if not, I call to him and he comes. He goes back in the truck, and I head inside to pay for the fuel.

Another benefit? People (panhandlers, etc.) don't approach me while he's nearby and off-leash. He's a pretty good judge of character and notifies me if anyone shady attempts to sneak up behind me. Once he gets to growling and barking, most people will keep their distance rather than take the chance at getting into a scuffle with an 85 pound dog. He's VERY protective of me.

And quite frankly, I don't give a flying four letter word about leash laws. The ONLY time he gets put on a leash is when we go into a store where pets are allowed (i.e. petco, rural king, etc...) or the vet. Heck, even when I stay at a motel, he'll walk right next to me off leash into the motel and through the halls to the room. I've usually got my arms full carrying bags, dog food, etc. and a leash would just be more trouble than necessary.

asphaltcowboy4x4 Thanks this.
  6. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    IMO. Pets do better in pairs. Especially smaller dogs. As a pair they will keep each other company while you are out of the truck at customers or when driving.

The down sides have already been mentioned but be sure to clean your cab air filters regularly. The animals will shed and can cause problems with your heat/ac circulation. Animals do smell as well so be sure to have air fresheners with you and cleaners for the floor, bed, and seats.

7. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Alot of company have a no pet policy, even lease ops., but if your able to have a pet, there great company when out on the road, I cant amagine not having my dog with me while im gone, she great in the truck, never had an accident, if you know what i mean, if Im sleeping and she's got to go, she will wake me up to let her out

8. faulcon

faulcon Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2012

jlkklj777 Thanks this.
  9. GAlanFink

GAlanFink Medium Load Member

May 8, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    I haul food grade tanker and it's federal law which prohibits me from having a pet... as well as company policy. Be sure of what you're regulations allow before you go putting a pooch in your hooch. Personally, I like the miniature Dobie though... if I were to have a pet it would be either one of them or a ferret (I had a ferret once... had so much fun with that critter... they are like a cat sort of).

'Bigfoot'
    View attachment 39443

10. formertaxidriver

formertaxidriver Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Aiea, HI
    Please cite this law. I couldn't find it on the FDA website and now I'm curious. Thanks.

11. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I swear I've seen you somewhere years ago, GSD in a IH. You wore a cowboy hat?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.