How often do you have to change your torque rod bushings?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by SpeedyGonzalez, Sep 13, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Those little cracks will be there in 6 months to a year.with new ones, and are not generally hurting anything unless they are mashed out and have slack in them. I have a 97 international that still has the original ones that does not need replacing, but it has not done a lot the last 9 years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Collie

Collie Guest

come on starmac. That is literally impossible for torque rod bushings to be the original from 1997. Seriously.
    Even if the truck only has 50k original miles on it, they would be dry rotted and get pushed out within the first trip. I usually just replace the whole arm and now use atro torque rods. They cost about 115 bucks from peterbilt and they hold up well. But they hold alot of weight from torque and truck weight so depending on the severity of the use of the truck, its an expensive part and easy to replace when they have a little play in them.
    Starmac, no hate and not hating on you. Just giving you a hard time brotha. Those bushings cant be original my friend

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Well unless they had been changed between 97 and 99 in the first 211, 000 miles, they are the original, that much I know for certain, and it has close to 1 1/2 million on it now.
    Like I said, I have not used it much at all the last 9 years, and they might go bad in a day or three if I put it back in service tomorrow.
    Infact every bushing on the rear is original, I was laid over a few years ago and got a wild hair and took it to the dealer to have it rebushed, they called me back and told me everything was in spec and it would be a waste of money.

5. SpeedyGonzalez

SpeedyGonzalez Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Rice Tire, they've been good to me other than always failing me for torque rod bushings. All 8 bushings came out to $400 for the KW excluding the overnight shipping (freightliner dealer waives the overnight fees). Freightliner bushings aren't removable so I buy the entire arm for $180ish. Took a look in the shop and couldn't find any of the old ones.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    What? I've replaced Freightliner Airliner torque arm bushings before. Bought them from Napa.

pushbroom Thanks this.
  7. SpeedyGonzalez

SpeedyGonzalez Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    The ones I get from the dealer are molded into the arm, I've been thinking of measuring shims and arm length and swapping to the KW style, but if theres a serviceable model from freightliner I'll got get 2 right now lol.

8. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    I bought tracking rods for my low air leaf 379 with the Atro bushings and very happy with them. Can't see how they would be harsh, the air bags and shock absorbers handle that. What is harsh though, is beat down bushings failing to keep things where they are supposed to be.

I think you should give the Atros a try, mine have been on a couple years without issue.

9. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    I change my torque arms out every 18-24 months usually, at same time as every 2nd set of shocks. I've never messed with the bushings (for the hassle) and just drop new parts in.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Collie Thanks this.
  10. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Nothing last on a truck. Buy it new or used its broke again in less than 3 to 6 months later.

Airbags, Tires, Airlines, Bearings, Wires, Hoses, Lights, Brakes, just drop them all in the trashcan as soon as you walk out the door and go right back in and buy them again.

And people wonder why no one wants to drive anymore. It's built to fail!

11. Collie

Collie Guest

im the same way, 120 bucks for new arms. People try to hassle with putting new bushings in. too each thier own i guess. But as an owner operator, its not that expenive of a part to just replace the whole thing.

sirjeff Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.