HOW TO FIX KENTWORTH T700 ULTRA SHIFT STUCK IN NUETRAL (AUTOMATIC)

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by PrettyBoyTrucker, Feb 20, 2016.

1. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    if it stalls when you stop, will not shift to N when you stop most likely it's the clutch
    that is the 1st thing I would have them check
    if they tell you that you need a clutch AND XY shifter AND the harness AND the computer.....DON"T do it all
    the reason is the trans will throw codes when it 1st goes stupid the next time it will throw more codes and so on
    by now it may have codes for the clutch, computer, harness, hi-lo range, sensor's
    about $6,000 and no way in he!! it's all bad so if they give you a list of things like that it's really only 1 or 2 of them
    I had to take mine in to the dealer and they wanted $5,000 to fix the list of things I had codes for, all I had them change was the XY shifter 3 years ago..... another time it was getting stuck in lo-range, dealer said they needed to change the harness and drop the trans and replace a part INSIDE (about $2,500).... I told them no just change the hi-lo solenoid (it's on the outside).... $400 later I was fixed

1st have them check the clutch (about 1/2hr) they just have to pull a cover and LOOK at how much wire is sticking out of it, if it's bad have it changed and do nothing more until you can drive the truck and see if that fixed it THEN if it still goes stupid and the XY shifter is on the list DO THAT.... harness maybe.... sensor maybe

you have to remember that they are not mechanic's they are technician's.... the computer tells them what IT THINKS is wrong so they just replace everything the computer tells them is broken

BTW do you drain your air tanks EVERYDAY.....? if not you could have water in the (air powered) XY shifter... yes it really does happen and yes it will make it do some really stupid things....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    combo7 and PrettyBoyTrucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PrettyBoyTrucker

PrettyBoyTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    Ok how much will the clutch cost to get fix estimate ball park

4. Cruisin thru

Cruisin thru Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Utah
    Thanks to Flood, I just learned some good stuff on transmissions. Great forum here. Ill go to the welcome page soon.

PrettyBoyTrucker Thanks this.
  5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Clutch will run you around $3,500

6. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    It cost me $2600 that was 5yrs ago. Work was done at Swoopes in Indianapolis

7. PrettyBoyTrucker

Aug 31, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    Went to Kentworth in Harrisburg, VA. They said it was the clutch actuator. That came out to $1700 with parts & labor. BUT IS WAS UNDER WARANTY. Thank goodness I didn't pay for it cause 30 miles down the road the same issue happen again. & that said that it was fix but it's not. So I'm thinking about going to another dealership because this is crazy.

baha Thanks this.
  8. PrettyBoyTrucker

Aug 31, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    They said it wasn't the xy shifter , harness or the speed sensor. They road tested the truck it was just fine. They use their computers & said it was the clutch actuator. So idk what it is at this point. I'm starting to think when I attach my trailer & pull a load the truck can't handle the job.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Keep taking it back until they get it right. If the parts are free why not?

baha Thanks this.
  10. PrettyBoyTrucker

Aug 31, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    Yea it back in the same shop now. The head mechanic said that he is going to work on it now. He thinks that cpu is not recognizing what gear it needs to be in. Let's find out what he knows today! but all this mess bette be under warranty because i will not come out my pockets for a problem they should of fixed yesterday.

11. PrettyBoyTrucker

Aug 31, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    FINALLY GOT THE TRUCK FIX YESTERDAY ... The problem was the mechanic did not check the electric wires connecting to the harness. There was corrosion on the wires. Causing mix signals to be sent to the transmission. so yea i spent like $750 on that. Truck is moving now.

jsnell, shatteredsquare and 2013Maxx Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.