How to make a broker spit coffee through his nose...

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by windsmith, Dec 10, 2012.

1. FORESTGUMP

FORESTGUMP Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2010
    south ms.

:laughing3: 90 cents a mile for what? I would want more than that just to have a phone converstion with them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    You're so full of #### your eyes are brown!:biggrin_25522:

windsmith Thanks this.
  4. Real Deal

Real Deal Medium Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Saint George UT
    Landstar is no different than any other broker.

5. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I have gotten more good paying loads from CH Robinson than I have Landstar.

Just saying....

Real Deal and windsmith Thank this.
  6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Must be MN I get excellent rates from both CHR & LS. Probably 90% or more of what goes on the truck is from one or the other. The best part about them both is they don't mess around on payment.

7. joker760

joker760 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    NJ
    Quick question,
    Does CH Robinson tag certain carriers as 'cheap' once they start taking cheap freight (Say less than $2/mile)?? I ask as I know an individual who took cheap freight when he first got his MC# and now they won't offer him more than $1.75/mile even if he's in good locations (Chicago, Ohio, etc).

8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yes... and $2 a mile is also cheap, if he thinks it's good CHR has him right where they want him... The only way for him to reverse this treatment is to turn down many many loads.. He will have to turn down loads where they are only $50 or even $25 apart just on principle... He will have to offer high counters that are way above where he thinks CHR will go and then hang up.... Many, many times... Everything you say to a CHR agent gets entered into their computer.. If they tell you $400 and you say "well, sorry I need $500" but then you call back 5 minutes later and take it for $400 then they know you will cut your rate easily, it gets punched into the system... Their entire system is set up to take advanatge of cheap haulers and with all of them out there who could blame them? Google their profits and see how well it's been working... Your freind needs to come to the realization that he doesn't need ANY load out there if the rate isn't right... It's funny a round I do for them is paying $500 more than what their low-ball offer to me on it was about 3 months ago... I saw that it was lightweight and called on it... They asked my T number and offered a very cheap rate trying to sell it as "but look at how light it is" and so I said no thanks... Fast forward months later by chance unknowingly called the same agent on a different load, on this one I really hammered him on the rate, he wanted it covered was desperate and I knew it... He paid my rate, I ended up hitting it off really well with the agent after that little game. Low and behold I end up hauling that other run for him for $500 more than what they offered me just several weeks before. I told him about the lowball offer that I remembered from weeks earlier and we laughed about it. Now I get first shot at that one every time. Just do not haul cheap for these guys........ ....and at some point you will see, yes, they do in fact pay good rates and do in fact have good accounts that they like to keep the customers happy with dependable, reliable service... and if you provide first class service they will call you again and again with good rates... Takes patience and time... I cannot tell you how many friggin loads I have turned down from them though....Many, many wasted phone calls...... So what.. They are not the only game in town look elsewhere for a load...

9. Janichol

Janichol Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Plano, Tx
    I used to drive for a guy that dealt with CHR from time to time. I hauled frozen meat to Seattle once a week. If he didnt have anything coming back, or i had to wait a day or 2, he would have me call CHR and get something from them. He always had really good things to say about them. They knew his rate and knew he wouldnt budge an inch. I guess if you stand your ground from the beginning, they know your serious. I never had to discuss a rate with them. They knew who i was with and loaded my truck.

10. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's all in the timing and patience is everything. Really you just have no clue what might come about when you call on a CHR load. One thing I always try to do is speak directly with the agent who's name and extension number are listed with the load instead of his co-workers about rate. Sometimes those co-workers know if the load is hot and are willing to go up but it's always best to speak with the person who considers that load their baby as it's their account. And you can size up pretty quick if it's run of the mill garbage or good freight. They will all low-ball at first but the agent who has that load and manages the account can quickly yea, or nay a counter that's much higher than he wants to pay. And I have seen them call back 5 minutes later and pay my price. You don't need ANY given load and have to be willing to hang up even if you are close. That's how you win with CHR longterm.

11. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    Windsmith, do you think this will also cause brokers to sputter ?

68614_2621922045323_1743870571_n.jpg

If you can't read it, at the bottom in special info it says, "Mayan Holiday rate ! $2.50/mile. loaded miles PLUS deadhead from Eureka, IL AND too Eureka, IL after delivery ! ALSO, $50/stop and $50/hr detention after two hour wait. Payment due by the end of the world or within 30 days, whichever comes first." I plan to leave my truck posted like this the next few weeks, except I will raise the rates more this weekend.

barnmonkey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.