How to tactfully back out of an orientation?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jesse24spd, Aug 4, 2020.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Why? If there is better out there why are you willing to take a step back?
    Be polite and don't lie will tend to not burn a bridge sure, but I would never take a step backwards. At worst I'll make a lateral move if that's what is required.

Dennixx Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    The OP is one of probably hundreds of new hires invited to orientation. Calling the co and declining the offer prior to attending is just common courtesy and really no big deal. There's always "no shows" at any orientation. :cya:

4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    But he was not going to work for the company, so he wasn't dodging anything, and he would have to test for the new company. They also have to pay for those tests, and if he didn't fork the money over, I doubt if they would be happy to learn he took a test and wasn't even going to work for them. He probably should have explained and asked what they wanted him to do.

5. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I have no idea what taking a step back means. I just said to do things the proper way and not cause any ill feelings.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You have missed my point. That comment I made was a warning to NEVER leave a secure testing area during orientation. Honestly, it can cause you months of headaches! Once that carrier secures the test you are NOT allowed to leave. Who pays for the testing is not the issue, if you are planning to work for them later also is not the issue. I am not trying to be a hardarse here. Drivers do this on a regular basis and they almost always get tagged!

7. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Please explain this, do you mean once they make an appointment or once you walk in the office, or once you walk in and empty your pockets.

8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I will be brief. There are three types of DOT drug tests. Pre-Employment, Random and for cause. When you are invited to and schedule an orientation with a carrier in almost all instances they will do the pre-employment collections somewhere near the orientation location. Once they start the orientation the people that are running the orientation will establish the controlled area where they want ALL the drivers to stay until they have their urine collected. This is what I mean by securing the test. Some carriers use a hallway, I know of one that uses the classroom where the drivers just sit until called. A driver MUST stay in this area until they finish the collection process. With this said, my last orientation the clinic that did our physicals also did this collection. There are a lot of variables to this. My point was though, DO NOT walk out until told you can leave. Doing so can be and most of the time is considered REFUSING to test!

9. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    I don't agree, but thanks for the answer.

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You don't agree about what? The secured area or the REFUSAL TO test if you leave it?

11. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Which is EXACTLY what I said to do. Discuss this with the company testing. Most times I am sent to a lab before even going to orientation. Saves a lot of time and expense. The one time I did it at orientation I had to go the the lab upon arrival and test. Orientation started the next day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.