I can’t find driver s !

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Western fleet owner, Mar 24, 2021.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Because only a few trucks can cross the border, so the rates are better. There is a huge oversupply of trucks and rate cutters in Canada, so the rates are ####. Plus everything else @Magoo1968 said.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Those types of companies in Calgary, expect 6-8 weeks from their guys, TEAM, no resets.

'88K100 Thanks this.
  4. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    I gotta ask........who are your trucks leased to?

5. Prairie Trucker

Prairie Trucker Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Good Question - when I had trucks in Trappers couldn't find drivers - was brutal....

6. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    If you could just hold out another year, there are 400,000 potential drivers coming

7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    I'm just curious if its in Canada why you would not be paying a per km rate? If you want to get work permits I know plenty of folks that are willing to come over and drive for you.

8. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Exactly:Economy problem...Well just Give All the soon to be worthless Money away.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  9. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Because .50 cpm is easier to recruit/promote than .23cpk;)

10. CraigInReston

CraigInReston Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Maybe try introducing driver incentives, if you're not doing so already. Quarterly safety bonuses or something similar. 0.55 cents/mile equivalates into about $79,000/yr. Not a bad living, but unseen to highway drivers looking at cents/mile, there has been a positive economic shift in wages, towards hourly pay for city/rural drivers. When highway drivers were paid almost double that of a city driver, that trend has slowly diminished. You may be losing qualified long-haul drivers to city P&D jobs that pay near the same rate. I personally know city P&D drivers working at Samuel & Sons, Varsteel, Cascadia Metals, etc; that make $80-90,000/yr. and are home with their families every night.
    The higher wages towards OTR driving, was to compensate for the personal sacrifice of estranging one-self from family and friends for weeks/months on end. That compensation has slowly vanished (thank the Liberal Immigration Policy for that).
    If you were to ask me... make $80K/yr. with the choice of OTR or local P&D (home every night) which do you think I'd choose?
    I have no doubt you treat your employees better than the mega-carriers, but $79K/yr. just isn't what it used to be. Inflation has risen the prices on virtually everything, except OTR wages haven't stayed in-par with inflation. I was making $65K/yr. as a company driver 20 years ago.

11. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Good points, just one thing to add.

No one is EVER going to get 12K miles a month, for 12 months, its impossible for any company in Canada to plan and coordinate that well. The waiting, confusion, constant breakdowns and such I see at all these companies, you're lucky to do 10K and thats practically living in the truck 26-28 days a month. Factor in 5-800/mo in expenses to live OTR, it drops quickly. The average gross pay for an OTR driver in Canada is 45K, the high end is 66K GROSS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.