I didn't make it, but I want other startups to learn from my mistakes.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Michael H, Feb 2, 2017.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Another tip from experience. Buy a truck that will be legal on an rgn. A flat top or mid roof might save you thousands

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    There are pros and cones of factoring and good threads of different views on the subject. I don't want to factor for the simple fact, that in my believes, once a work is complete it is due to be paid for. Those who take you to do the job and don't plan on paying you right after are swindlers in my eyes. Quick pays are swindlers invention too.

RollingRecaps Thanks this.
  4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Good luck with that.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Have you looked into hauling local with your truck....?

Spring is coming ... bark season is close (doesn't pay great but better than the loads you posted)

Construction season after that...

Oxbow and rank Thank this.
  6. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    The whole B2B economy works on net 30+ terms unfortunately. This is why many huge companies rely on short term corporate paper to fund operations. Similarly there are a lot of medium sized trucking companies who are factored. I have mixed feelings on the whole thing. I have some customers who pay within 7 days of being invoiced and I have some customs brokers I've done business with who basically don't pay up until their customer pays them.

EDIT: But if you've ever wondered why the people you are hauling for don't seem to want to cough up the money right away... it's because they haven't been paid yet either.

Oxbow and redoctober83 Thank this.
  7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    What happened to the app, I'm curious as to what kind of truck and what kind of repairs that he was doing.

I can only assume it was a newer truck with emmission problems

Oxbow and rank Thank this.
  8. Liquidforce

Liquidforce Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Savannah GA
    for the OP, I can only say I hope you get a chance to lick your wounds and get another shot at it, it's frustrating to be so close to cracking it and stumbling at the last hurdle, best of luck moving forward.

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I got the impression the truck was repoed

Oxbow and daf105paccar Thank this.
  10. mjg4015

mjg4015 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Good, advise. I did talk to the bank about borrowing against the other two tractors. I just passed on it for now, but I agree that would take away owing someone else. Just need to work getting those clients........thank you

Oxbow and LoJackDatHo Thank this.
  11. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Yup! IMG_1528.JPG This was $1400.00 for 600 miles. IMG_1519.JPG This was $1100.00 for 90 miles 1 day before.

This was over a -$10000.00 week PLUS re powering my trailer with a load on and lost revenue for 2 weeks right before Christmas in my first year. Still stings and not even completely repaired yet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.