I have narrowed it down to a step deck but have a few questions

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Dadetrucking305, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    You learned quick.I don’t think I ever learned to do it the right way when I had 8 foot drops and partials or uneven loads to tarp when I had my hotshot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    A few of these are also handy to have. The “J” hook can be used as a choke by hooking on the lead bolt on the ratchet.

[​IMG]

4. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    While we are here and talking tarps and step deck and tarping the drop. (I have a 53’ standard flat)

Couldnt you have a tarp made just to cover the font deck. Like 11 x 11 with 8 foot drops and tarp that separately?

Then a standard set for the red of the deck. Seems like a huge struggle to run a tarp from front deck, to the drop and back. I’ve seen it done a few times and it seems to be the way to go.

I tend to carry 8 foot drops on the road if I leave without tarping something because it can cover most everything. It is harder to get it looking great so it takes some extra work. I have thought of switching to some 20x27s instead but don’t want that expense right now.

The advice to carry some chain end straps is priceless. I use mine often. Also a few pocket winches may be a good idea for a step. I carry four and use them often on a standard flat.

Dont be afraid to shop chains on marketplace. You just need to look them over. I have a full set of 5/16 and a full set of 3/8 I got used. I am thinking of selling 8 of the 3/8 and keeping 4 of them and the rest 5/16. Straps etc buy new.

5. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    I use mostly 5/16. They do the job for what I haul. I know one thing, next time I order tarps, I'm ordering my 4' drops in staggered length. I want one 27' long and the other 34' long. I can't tell you how many times I've had to throw two tarps, where if I would have had one just a little longer, I could have gotten away with just one. Also, how many times I tarped odd shaped stuff the the two tarps met at a stupid spot and screwed me. I'm also going to have another set of d-rings sewn in. Again, odd height stuff where the d-rings where right at the deck. Grrrr

6. cgilliland

cgilliland Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    ok ill do that!!!

God prefers Diesels and Cat sdp Thank this.
  7. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    I was pretty much the same way. My first tarp job was some expanded metal and other junk and it took quite awhile to get r done. You just get better as time goes on. I’m #### sure not on a level I want to be yet. I have been avoiding tarped loads lately. Mainly heat and getting older. If it doesn’t pay significantly more or there is nothing else I haul non tarped freight if possible.

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Do most loads break out the tarp charge , or is it all in…..?

staceydude and Dadetrucking305 Thank this.
  9. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    I haven’t carried tarps in 4 years. Both sets of ramps are well worth it for loading lower stuff, and stuff that is back heavy. In my opinion tarp loads don’t pay much more then no tarp loads. Once in a while I will get pissed I didn’t have tarps with me, maybe like 1 time a year lol.

staceydude and Dadetrucking305 Thank this.
  10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Thats why i stick with 4 footers and a coil bag, we have a few of our own customers that have material that needs tarped, and thats fine but if a load needs 8 foot tarps, ill let tmc maverick etc etc haul it, too much pita for not nuff pay

staceydude and ChevyCam Thank this.
  11. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    I’m hoping I can get away with no tarps as well lol.Maybe I should get one for that odd ball partial that needs tarps.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.