I need advice to go local or over the road??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Showme87, Feb 21, 2020.

1. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    You gotta go grocery shopping for the truck, get the mail. Eat, shower. By the time you get settled in and go to a birthday party it’s time to get back to the truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    I’d take the otr job given them choices.

4. Showme87

Showme87 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2020
    Thank's for all the replies so far. I'm really considering going over the road it will be a better choice for my career to grow with them and advance as well.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    yea That drive to and from work will drive you nuts. From paying in gas. To miles put on the vehicle To waking up super early. And in this line of work stuff happens so getting off late and still having that commute. Which you still have to get up early for the next so by the time you hit the door you’re already 30 mins late to bed wondering what’s for dinner lol

6. randypinenc

randypinenc Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2018
    I'm with @Chinatown. That home daily stuff isn't worth squat if you live more than 20 minutes from home. I would go over the road. This will give you more money and a deep dive into what it is all about. I remember being in these forums about two years ago when I first started out of CDL school. I started in tanker with a small operation. I ran from NC to AL and from NC to PA. Trust me when I say you WILL learn quickly when you are over the road. Just be careful and do not make any critical decisions when you are tired.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are going to get worn down by the commute it's excessive.

Ive done commutes of 50+ miles one way just to get to the truck. If the Maryland State Police had anything to say when they captured me coming home at 100+ late at night on their radar busting a red light to boot it would be better for all concerned to stop doing that.

Thats what I did.

OTR is a better situation. None of that probation BS. Ive got a CDL A and if you are not going to let me use it in a combination vehicle then you are wasting everyone's time. Insurance is just a lipservice excuse.

meechyaboy Thanks this.
  8. INRUT

INRUT Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Go over the road for a couple years for a couple reasons. 1, your to far away from local job, 2, OTR will make you a better driver. Also, good local jobs pay minimum 22 up to 30+ hourly & if they don’t pay overtime don’t do it. Do the time & get a Monday- Friday retirement job or stay OTR with a good company & retire.

meechyaboy and snowlauncher Thank this.
  9. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Is there any extra pay on the food service for unloading the truck or number of stops? If it's just $18 that's not very good in my opinion. Actually it's crap.

meechyaboy Thanks this.
  10. Showme87

Showme87 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2020
    Hello there is no extra pay to unload the truck at all for the food service delivery job just $18.00 an hour anything over 40 hours a week would be overtime. I agree the pay is not good for what they expect out of you.

meechyaboy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I did run for Darden part time on weekends while FFE had the whole rig at thier beck and call for months. So they got their money.

I settled into a weekend food route supporting 4 red lobsters and for the work I did I think I earned 1200 gross and netted close to 900 for two days work as a company driver. Keep in mind I was subject to their call in Aberdeen Maryland at any moment the other 5 days.

To be honest, they partially paid in food which was appreciated way more than dollars. It was fuel for the next delivery. Cover the table in 30 dollar meals. Maintained my then weight of 155 as well.

If I ate like that today? I would be morbidly obese. I am up against the 190 wall again and frankly I suspect thats permanent. Unless I seriously up my physical output in activities that demand it.

At the end of the day food service is not worth the money. Ive encountered it before when I was younger and smaller. Like 135 soaking wet at 21. Still a child. The orientation near DC at the warehouse there? I was yea high. In a room full of no less than 300 pound beefs at 6 and half feet. They were nice about it but did not really understand my history working the baltimore warehousing district in my late teens. I became a man there. And yes I was weak in many ways then. Too small for the work. But I stayed with them the whole job moving that entire warehouse until there was nothing but 4 blank cement walls and floors. That crew loved me, but told me I better find soemthing else to do because they cannot continue to take up my slack too much longer.

If you are little what can you do? Work. With a good heart and courage. If they see you giving 110% they will march with you. Just as easy as they will stomp you if you showed slacking or lazy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.