I need something and don't want to reinvent fire to get it...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jun 17, 2019.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    The rice farmers use old disc blades. I've never seen a trailer sink with those under the landing gear.

wore out and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Gotta find just the right rock. Sticks are everywhere, and they also burn, so probably friction.

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  4. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    :rolleyes:

5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    2 inches of ground clearance 3 to 4 feet behind the rear drive axle very very rarely comes into play if you crank the landing gear all the way up.... And an easy fix for that 2 inches if it is a big deal, take the feet off and attach directly to landing gear verticals... Weld a cap on each end and they dont fill full of crap.

An old supervisor once told me "If you are building something to fix a stupid problem, you have to build it stupid proof." If you think that placing boards or something else under the landing gear will fix the problem then do so...

But sooner or later some one will forget, or be too lazy, or in to big of a hurry, or can't find the boards and the problem will reoccur. By building it onto the trailer it cant be forgot, or lost... Problem fixed, permantly, PERIOD!

6. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Old disc blades could even be used in place of the standard landing gear feet, and attached to the landing gear.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  7. QuietStorm

Dec 11, 2016
    Sounds like they might cut into the drives during u-turns.

8. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Me too, when I was in the army, we used 4 inch thick 3x3 pads made from 2x4s(9 36" length sections of 2x4 makes a 36" square, 2 layers stacked opposed so the grains went 90 degrees with each other) under the landing gear for any trailer with any significant weight on it. Like I said, I know how to fabricate them, thanks to what dad has taught me over the years, and if we kept maybe 2 dozen pairs at the yard, it would not be a bad thing.

I just don't want to reinvent fire.... that happened a few weeks ago....

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  9. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I doubt it... If they were large enough to contact the drive tires they would stick WAY beyond the sides of the trailer as well... Most discs are 18 to 24 inches in diameter.

REO6205 and QuietStorm Thank this.
  10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If they stayed on the landing gear they probably would rub. We used to run a lot of grain double hoppers and it was all drop and hook field hauling when harvest was going on.
    Each trailer had a heavy piece of 2" pipe welded on the top of gear legs at a 45 degree angle. The disc blades have a cut-out in the middle. When the trailer was picked up the disc blades were hung on the pipes for travel.
    They work pretty good. I've seen a lot of single axle tractors bog down in the mud but the trailers they were trying to get to were still high and dry.

QuietStorm and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  11. QuietStorm

Dec 11, 2016
    Depends where his fifth wheel is, but 10 more inches is a lot. At least that's what she told me.

Cattleman84 and REO6205 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.