I'm a Independant Dispatcher in Training Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by tealtransport, Oct 10, 2012.

Would you as an O/O use currently or have used in the past a Independent Dispatcher?

1. *

I am currently using a Independant Dispatcher for some or all of my loads.

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. I have used an Independant Dispatcher in the past, but with bad results.

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. *

I have used an Independant Dispatcher in the past, but would rather save money and book loads myself

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. *

I have never and would never use an Independant Dispatcher.

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  5. *

I have never used an Independant Dispatcher, but would be open to trying one some day.

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  6. *

What is an Independant Dispatcher?

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Have you done the math on the amount of money you make doing this? To make $40k per year you need $800k revenue. That will be 8-10 drivers. When all if going well you will be working 10 hrs a week per driver. 80-100 hour week.

Bigger problem is where are you finding the loads? If you say load boards then you are looking at the same freight they are. Now you only advantage is you can look for loads when they are sleeping (doesn't help you because you can't book it till you talk to them) or when they are driving.

Now, you make a mistake booking a load. Who is paying for that mistake? Not the broker and not the driver. It will be on you.

And you are green to all this so you will make mistakes. Lots of them.

I love business. Love to start new businesses. If I had my way I would just sit around starting businesses and handing them off for others to run. And I just don't see the viable business her based on the hours, revenue and risk. And you are looking at doing this at the worst time. Next year you will have 1,000's of small brokers WITH freight accounts entering the market when they can't get a bond and don't want to go work for someone else. Now you are competing with people with years of experience, freight and contacts.

And I am the optimistic one.

mamamullins and tealtransport Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tealtransport

tealtransport Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Manchester, TN
    This is something I know very very well. When I had my grooming salon for 4 years...I hired many people. There was only one who treated my business somewhat like I did..and she was the one who took over for me. The owner will always work the hardest. I handled everything in that business. Profit/loss, estimated projections, I did all the work...start to finish on every dog, until I got bigger and need to hire help. Customer service, i dealt with all the problems. I did my own taxes and of course bookwork. Yes it may have been in a different field....But at least you know your dealing with a business person, who knows the ins and out of running a business. The ONLY reason I stopped grooming is because I was 6 months pregnant with baby 3 and my oldest being 4 years old..I need to come home and homeschool. Now a year and half later I still have grooming clients calling me wanting to know when I'm going to start grooming again. I took care of my customers.

With this business it is a little different than dealing my grooming clients. Like someone posted earlier, we are essentially partners. The success of your business drives the success of mine. You better be sure I'm work my darn tooteness hardest to make you succeed, because that is also my success...but i also want you to be more than satisfied.

here I can only go with my classwork. We are taught that the time it takes to book 1 load, is about an hour. So the time per driver per week all depends on how many loads he needs booked. We have the internet at our fingertips and can search every load board very quickly. We are alerted about new loads as soon as they arrive on the load boards. Another way is to get my carrier set up with different brokers so that I can use their personal broker load board. CH Robinson is a good example. A lot of their freight never make it to to the main load boards, and are usually taken by their carriers that are set up to move freight for them. This doesn't mean you must drive exclusively for them by no means.
    Also as I have mentioned, my specialty is direct manufactures. So although I will be looking at the same load boards you are ( and I'm with ALL of the major ones)
    Yes I realize I will be responsible for my mistakes. If all business was risk free, it wouldnt be business.
    yes I know I'm green (I must sound very green!!) and I will make mistakes. But everyone had to start somewhere.

Next year you will have 1,000's of small brokers WITH freight accounts entering the market when they can't get a bond and don't want to go work for someone else. Now you are competing with people with years of experience, freight and contacts.

This is a very good point. Thankfully I have until the law goes into effect to get a base started. The best I can do is focus on my driver and meeting all his needs. Thank you for bringing this up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012
  4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    The biggest handicap I see is you know nothing about freight. That's not a dig at you it's just that you don't know what you don't know. I can look at loads posted on a board and tell by pickup/delivery times lots of times even know what the shipper or receiver is depending on the location in a specific city. It sort of falls into what Grumman said: Trying to maximize the revenue off loadbards takes a trained eye with a great understanding of geography, time and distance, loading capabilities, rapid decision making, and negotiating techniques. Like for instance yesterday I booked a load within 20 minutes of CHR agency closing after just emptying out. This was after a quick glance at what was available and weighing 2 different prospects. pretty much knew my minimum rate on it without running numbers, although I typically like to take a couple of minutes to crunch those on all prospective loads before calling... Now in your situation you're gonna be hard pressed to book that load... You may see it and realize it works then you have to call some wishy washy owner who doesn;t know how or can't make a quick decision right there on the spot. He'd end up sitting overnight because of it... And some of that will be a trust issue... ...you can say it's all about maximizing revenue and what-not. I believe you, but when an owner is not booking loads and has no clue what rates are like, they are going to expect the world on everything.. You're going to have to deliver... These things move along quickly...

tealtransport Thanks this.
  5. tomkatrose

tomkatrose Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Teal, best of luck to you. It sounds like you've done a lot of research and have run a successful small business. I tend to agree with BBB however and think you will go through some painful learning experiences. If you plan to only get direct freight for your clients, you will be spending a great deal of time on sales/business development. You will be competing with thousands of brokers. The time you will need to spend making those calls and building those relationships will take away from other tasks you are suggesting you'll do.

Hopefully, you are in a position to be self-supporting until you get your cash flow going. You'll be charging your O/O's for your service and their payments will depend on their AR cycle. Do you plan on only getting paid when they get paid or when the load delivers and your services are completed per load? The margins are thin in trucking so how you do this has an impact.

There's so many things to be successful as an independent dispatcher, I'm too lazy to type it all and I probably don't know the half of it. Getting some experience with a small trucking company would be really advantages for you. If not, you'll be gaining experience at O/O's expense and the learnings you garner along the way will never be forgotten, good or bad. It can take a long time to earn back credibility if you damage it early on. I know the job sounds like a cool way to work from home and make money by wheeling and dealing freight and phone calls. The money is lean, it takes so much work it's ridiculous and the economy/freight is pretty soft. I'll look forward to hearing your update posts for the next couple of quarters.

tealtransport and BigBadBill Thank this.
  6. tealtransport

Oct 10, 2012
    Manchester, TN
    I agree with you completely. in that case where the owner is wishy washy..I'll just have to deal with it..in the end..it's going to be his mistake, for not accepting.

yes, I have not developed that trained eye for the best load. But I'm sure that even grumman did have that trained eye when he first started. it has become second nature for him. And it will do the same for me eventually. and the numbers as you say, will also become second nature, knowing right away what is good and what is crappy!!

You are right, I've got work to do, and experience to gain. But at least I'm not some dohickey sitting in an office working for a broker who doesn't care about you. Experience I can gain, trust I can gain...but unless I start with the right attitude and right skills I will not succeed.

Well, you are very right!! I actually, before I step out and work for myself with o/o, already have two jobs lined up. one through a broker and one through a dispatching company that works only with hotshotters, ltl. I would much rather learn my biggest mistakes NOT at the risk of my carriers that I will work for..and do it through another company..where I'll have mentors and managers watching me and helping me. but in the end..like bigbadbill said, I love working for myself. I don't really like working for say a brokerage company. there's too many bosses!! I'd rather have just the carriers and myself. And that will be my eventual goal.

I have considered many different ways as it comes to getting paid. correct if I'm wrong. I usually won't get paid, until the driver gets paid...but I can help with invoicing and help the driver get paid faster, therefore I get paid faster. I've heard of another option that I'm not quite sure about...factoring companies..not sure how many use them? Essentially I could get paid out of the nonrecourse payment from the factoring company...again not sure about doing that.

"There's so many things to be successful as an independent dispatcher, I'm too lazy to type it all"
    made me laugh!!! I know what you mean!! And I can type fast too!! I just get tired of it.

I know the job sounds like a cool way to work from home and make money by wheeling and dealing freight and phone calls. The money is lean, it takes so much work it's ridiculous and the economy/freight is pretty soft.

well, at first it did..but I knew there's a ton more to it. nothing is free, and all money must the worked for. I feel it's very very very important to be doing a job you love. Yes, I do want to make money, BUT I also love this job, everything I've heard so far has gotten me sooooo excited about starting. Cause this type of job is right up my alley.

I just want to say THANK YOU to all you guys who have taken the time to get me advice and direction. It really means a lot, and I really really appreciate it. Your advice will not fall on deaf ears. I will try my best to incorporate and utilize everything you guys have given me to better me as a person and in my business. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012
  7. DispatcherJudi

DispatcherJudi Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2012
    An Independent Dispatcher is working on behalf of the owner operator, so they are working under the Owner Operator's MC#. All monies for delivering the loads go straight to the Owner Operator from the customer, and the Owner Operator pays his/her dispatcher for their services.

tealtransport Thanks this.
  8. sagreen

sagreen Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I have been following this thread and find it very interesting. My husband is leased on with a company and I look at that load board for him and book loads when he needs me too. I have been thinking about doing something like this but, I need more information.Can you answer a few questions for me Teal? Have you checked to see the percentage of O/Os who use a personal dispatcher? Have you spoken with any personal dispatchers outside of the training environment? What are they saying about their business? Have they had problems getting direct shippers to work with them? Thanks.

9. tealtransport

Oct 10, 2012
    Manchester, TN
    your question merits a little bit of research and leg work for me. I will find out and get back to you via private messaging.

basically the answers to your questions is no..I haven't. But I will.

10. mamamullins

mamamullins Medium Load Member

May 4, 2011
    Ingalls, IN
    I commend her for looking into running her own business, but the fact remains....it takes knowledge and experience first before anyone can just run a dispatching service. Learning dispatching from a training book/course is just that...its a book. If I could ever work again and Lord knows I really wish I could...then you bet I would do what she is thinking about doing. I miss working in the trucking business and dealing with drivers on a daily basis, but I started from the bottom of a company and worked my way up to dispatching. It takes knowledge of how to bill brokers and knowing their AR cycle which is 30 days, but even though they say 30 days...it is more like 45. Does that person know what to do if the broker doesn't pay? I do....and that's because I did it. Does a person know how to write Sales proposals to go in and sale to a manufacturer or a small company to gain contracts....I do because I had to write proposals all the time to gain new business for our sales managers. So here is a scenario that I want you to really think about?

Let's say that we both have the same business, and we are both trying to get O/O to join us who do you think they would choose?

A: A person with 7 years experience, a degree in Business Management, and a degree in Supply Chain logistics who is also a truckers wife that knows how to deal with brokers, and how to negotiate with brokers, and knows how to handle situations that may arise, and who can fight with the broker to get the extra accessorials that are due to the driver? Who can do billing and fight with brokers to get the drivers money, and if they don't pay then file against their surety bond to make sure that the driver gets their money. Who knows how to make sure the pickup and delivery times are within the appropriate parameters...because brokers will push them to an extremely tight schedule. Who also knows the safety compliance rules when it comes to FTMCA and the HOS rules? Who also knows what areas are the hardest to get freight out of, so that a driver isn't sitting for 3 or 4 days waiting?

or

B: A person who is taking a training course to become a dispatcher, who has no knowledge of the trucking industry or who is not familiar with how the bottom dollar really works for Truckers. Who will make costly mistakes for the O/O and will quickly lose trust of any driver coming to them to handle their business affairs.

I would take a gander and say they would possibly go with option A.

Working for a broker or hotshotters is just that working for them, and learning how to get the lowest dollar for transporting....it works the other way around when it come's to O/O. I didn't just have 8 or 10 drivers to look out for...I had 25-30 drivers that I had to account for on a daily basis. Most loads are accepted off of DAT...and I have also worked with CH Robinson. They called us to see if the driver we posted would take a load for us...because they knew that we had a high service with low service failure. I would truly say, that if a person wants to run their own dispatching service....it is a great idea, but have the knowledge of every component before jumping into the frying pan. I think you would be better to work for a company that has a fleet....to really gain the whole concept of what a dispatcher really is. I am not trying to be mean...and again I do commend you on your desire to run your own business, because running a grooming business ain't nothing like the trucking industry.

amora, rollin coal and aiwiron Thank this.
  11. Brownsfan16

Brownsfan16 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2011
    How does a O/O when looking at a load board know which loads are better than others? This is really a interesting concept that could be very helpful to a new O/O.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.