I'm kinda sad... is being an Owner Operator really that bad?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Robm78, Feb 1, 2012.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    Another overhead cost, and the one that is easiest to save money with, is fuel. Paying for your own fuel is a totally different mentality from being a company driver. As a company driver I run as fast as possible since I get paid by the mile. As an owner paying your own fuel you need to think different. I have heard from many owners they will drive 55-60mph for better fuel mileage. At the end of the year you may gross less, but your net will be higher ie driving 65-70mph you may gross$160k but net $90k (just making numbers up), but driving 10mph slower could only gross $140k, but your net is over $100k. So you make more money for working less. It sounds counterintuitive but I have had many owners tell me it works. Why do you think companies govern their trucks.

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Robm78

Robm78 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Lakewood, WA
    lol..I would of never guessed that.. I figured companies governed their trucks because if they were not governed, people would speed, to many tickets, insurance goes up and they lose all their drivers..lol

4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It does get them cheaper insurance rates with slower trucks. Watching some of these yahoo's out here poppin wheelies on the fuel island and at redlights I doubt the average driver in a company truck see's much improvement on mpg's from their governed truck.

5. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    i am a lease op also. just leased to a company, i own the truck.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    My company truck is governed based on fuel mileage, the better mileage I get the faster it will go. You can still get speeding tickets in a 62mph truck, trust me.

7. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I just a citation the other day from the Indiana State Police for going 57 in a 55:biggrin_25510:

On the warning he put my speed as N/A..... guess HE was even embarassed by stopping me???

8. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    57 in a 55? That's just crazy!

9. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior rocking-n-rollin again

Dec 6, 2011
    South West
    i gotta agree 57 in a 55...heck a gust of wind back there is faster...wonder if the cops write mother nature a ticket...

10. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    "clearing" is relative. It is not the comparing apple to apples here. For instance, a company driver might make, say, $60K a year. But he also has to pay income taxes, his part of payroll taxes, medical insurance, and other goodies.

I, on the other hand, may make the same $60K a year, but it is actually clear..... after taxes, after medical insurance, etc.

Who actually came out ahead on that deal? Now, to be fair, maybe your numbers actually were an realistic comparison. But many seem to think that the gross income they see on a W-2 means the same as an O/O net income. They forget to factor out all the other stuff. Unfortunately, there are many O/O that can't seem to get a grasp on this. I never seem to be amazed at when you ask some O/O what his income was, he will state something like "I made $190,000 this year". When you ask what their net was, or their cost per mile, they haven't a clue.

And also to be fair, I had to put in more actual hours at the job than a company driver would. But as was stated before, the satisfaction of having succeeded outweighs it. And it is worth it to have more control over how things are done. I didn't say total control. That will never happen. This is a business that provides a service to a customer. There is no way to have total control, unless the tractor is sitting in the yard as a lawn ornament.

11. virgil tatro

virgil tatro Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2010
    columbus montana
    being an owner operator is far better than being a compant driver.. AS LONG as you know what you are doing.. AND DO NOT! do a lease purchase with a big company!! buy your truck and lease to a company (or do your own thing) just dont pull for some company paying by the mile. do a percentage contract! this is my opinion<><

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.