is a bank statement good enough for taxes or do you need receipts?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shotgun94, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I do it the old fashioned way, Stuff envelope on a per mo. Basis, then quarterly, after sorting out fuel receipts, doing fuel taxes, I organize and record each mo. Then back into the envelopes, A few hours, every 3 mos. not bad. If audited, I doubt they’ll want to dig through very much, just spot check. But if they want to dig, it’s all there.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    I give my accountant receipts if I have them or bank/CC statements with the business charges highlighted. I'll also total everything up by category for her to make it a little easier.

Truemac and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    I use quickbooks online. Its linked to my business bank account, I select the category for each incoming or out going money ad what they were (income, repairs, food, taxes, etc). Then come tax time you can link your account for your accountant to look at anything in there. Dead simple for me as a one man band.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    QuickBooks is great.

Do you scan the receipts themselves into something like neat receipts, or do you just save them in envelopes per month?

6. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    The quickbooks mobile app allows you to take pics of the receipts and match it up.

Dino soar and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I was attaching copies of receipts to transactions in QB for a while then finally gave up and just keep the receipts in a file sorted by month. If I ever get audited I can find a transaction receipt easy enough that way.

8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I have a older nest receipts (free to use). Had my accountant set it up the way she wanted it. Every weekend I scan everything in. Then back up to a thumb drive.

At the end of the year I just give her the thumb drive. Come back the next day and my taxes are done

Dino soar Thanks this.
  9. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    I think it’s a good idea to have a separate email account for just your online purchases like amazon, eBay, or Home Depot or Uber rides.
    Or forward all your old ones into that one email so not everything gets mixed up

10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I don't even save my receipts on the hard drive any more. I upload them to the One Drive - Microsoft cloud which comes with their Excel subscription. This way I don't worry about back ups and crashes. All the hard copies I keep in a 20 packet document case. Same thing with invoices, rate confirmations, BOLs. Easy to access from everywhere. I don't care if it ever is hacked... I am not NASA.

11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Quickbooks plus save all receipts in case of an audit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.