Is it my responsibility to scale the truck and axle out?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by jumbo11, Nov 30, 2021.

1. jumbo11

jumbo11 Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2021
    Tired of being between 2 guys that are back and forth about who's responsibility it is , And it all just leaves me to handle it myself..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Feedman

Feedman Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2015
    West mi
    Where about in Michigan? One compartment or multiple? Lots of feed mills and gravel pits have scales they will let you play on if they are not busy. Fwiw friend of mine called ahead to a scale and told them what he was trying to do and would they help him be legal. They agreed and closed the scale and were a big help getting everything set right. He couldn't get it to scale full and the officer said now you know so don't let me catch you this full again

4mer trucker and Speedy Sailor Thank this.
  4. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    quit.

if anything goes wrong, as in, an accident and your over weight , they will hang you out to dry.

it's all on you with no company backup

I wouldn't do it, if you have no way of doing it correctly/legally.

5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    I always enjoyed explaining how to scale liquids.
    You should see the un-believing looks first time a trainee gets out after leaving the parking brakes off on a platform scale...I'm 1/2 way to the scale house and they are still standing there, door open, in dis-belief that it is simply rolling back and forth a foot or so and has not rolled away, yet.....but he is ready!

One old tank farm made us drop weigh all tank loads [ancient scale that wasn't long enough for a 42 foot trailer and a puppy dog mack] making a compartment load [un-baffled chem trailer] a long affair as you had to wait for each product to settle down watching the scale needle moving up and down as the liquid(s) moved around.

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I would think that setting the regulators about 50-60psi would be a good place to start based on stuff I’ve run in the past. When I got a new 4 axle truck and 4 axle flatbed I was at a Cat scale for close to an hour re-weighing over and over until everything was right. And that was for one lift on the trailer, one lift on the truck, and getting my 5th wheel right to get weight on my steer without cutting my inner bridge down.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  7. jumbo11

jumbo11 Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2021
    my set up is 55 for the spread or steerable axle. 50 50 for 8 and 9 and 45 for the very rear or last axle. 5th wheel is set for a 9 foot spread. last time at the DOT scale i was 27 thou and allowed 32 -34 depending on who i ask. I would want this at 32 or close to as possible. I can figure this out, i just need the proper scale and a extra hand. Is it really asking to much for a little help from my company..? can i at least be given the time to do it.. if it is and i cant get it right , to me its a safety issue and i do not want to be in it.

8. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    It’s not too much to ask for a hand, but your original post said you wanted them to set it up and then give it to you. As far as getting weight onto your drives that would come from dropping air from your forward axles and increasing the pressure in your rear axles, if it’s your drives you’re talking about wanting to get to 32-34.

9. jumbo11

jumbo11 Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2021

I stand by my original post .. i did not want to make a long post explaining all that i have done on my own to this point. now my attitude is , if my company does not care if it scales and wont help me to get it to scale then they can do it. and yes you are correct on your weight transfer and i also know this, BUT now i need to get to a scale with someone that can give me a hand witch would be my boss and that doesnt work at all. and yes i dont think its to much to ask for a hand. thanks for the post.

10. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I would start with 5 psi on each end. Take 5 psi from the front axles, add 5 psi to the back axles. The only thing I’ve run that’s even close to what you’re talking about was a 5 axle flatbed that was a front lift, three stationary axles, and rear lift. When I pulled that I ran the lift pressures the same and it seemed to balance. That’s not near the weight that you’re hauling, but maybe a good starting point for a reset to see where you are on your drives.

11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    First with liquids worry about your gross. Then once you have that if all your compartments are full your done . Just adjust your lift axle pressure. If you have room left in your compartments then you gotta figure it out ….

If you got any mt space in the front trailer I’d have it in the front compartment….. the rest I can’t help you with….

we hauled 10,500 diesel on 6 axles or 12,000 gas …..

12. Speedy Sailor

Speedy Sailor Bobtail Member

May 28, 2008
    La Porte, IN 46350
    Most CO-OPs have scales and will scale the public too. Some are platform but I have seem a few axle scales too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.