Is Part Time Owner Op Possible

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by MercySakesAlive, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Be careful of any truck that’s a 2008 that was the first of the dpf models…….and they all have major problems

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Not so easy if you are running load board brokered freight. You'll be looked at as a new venture with almost every broker every time you restart. Most all of them use Carrier411 these days and they go by most recent date of acquired authority. You cannot communicate or notate anything with Carrier411.

Since the huge number of idiot new ventures started last year most of them now have stiff insurance requirements like 6 months or 1 year of authority before you can run for them. The 30 days ones are pretty much history. Many are now also requiring more than 1 truck. 3, 5, 10, etc. They have their ways of getting around working with all of these lousy new ventures.

I dropped my authority for a whole 3 weeks earlier this year to try a lease on experiment so I know all this from first hand experience. Many of the brokers I have a long solid history with (I mean 50 or more loads, 3 or more years of solid service) will not use me until I've been back a full year.

I would go the temp agency route. I've heard good things about some of them. Much better than I would expect.

4. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Lol, this cracked me up. I resemble that remark.

5. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York

I haven't had any problems with that but I haul cars. The ones who would probably tell me that are ones I wouldn't want to haul for anyhow.

6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
  7. MercySakesAlive

MercySakesAlive Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2008
    seattle ,wa
  8. MercySakesAlive

MercySakesAlive Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2008
    seattle ,wa
    Thank you to everyone who took the time to weigh in on my thread here. I really appreciate all your well-informed comments.

9. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I guess you could but it sounds like a pain in the ###. I think from what you described I'd rather just do gig economy stuff in the downtime especially if I was looking at a 2008 rig with all those repairs that will eat you up.

10. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I agree but it's important to note that what I have experienced makes sense even though I disagree with it. It's not driven by the broker's opinions but driven by the brokers insurance which is in turn driven by lawyers and liability. The brokers get a dual advantage here because they don't have to think about the added risk of using a new venture, which is VERY risky and there are a million out there I wouldn't want hauling my freight.

What I'm saying is that it will probably bleed over to car hauling and every other kind of freight. Insurance companies don't just go backwards on their rules or their rates. Once it's here, it stays.

The big question becomes, how long until a new carrier (which every one is at some point) can't run for anyone for 6 months or a year due to insurance regulations. I guess you just apply for authority and work another job while you wait a year but that's impossible because you have to have a commercial vehicle insured as soon as you start up an authority.

Beaver9, Tropsnart and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    I started as a part-time owner op while I was working a full-time white collar job. I worked part-time for four years before transitioning to my main jog. It worked out well enough that I gave up the full-time job and started driving as my main job. It's been a blessing to my family. You can reduce your insurance to the minimum requirements when you are not running.
    However, there was a lot of luck involved that kept me going the first year. What helped me was keeping my costs low. I paid cash for my truck and trailer and my insurance was surprisingly reasonable. I had an available maintenance fund when I started and I had to use the first year. I also knocked on some local doors and found some direct shippers that were happy to work with me when I was available. Also, you technically have to log your hours working your other job as on-duty not driving, which is a pain.
    I don't think this option if for everyone and there is a fair amount of risk involved so it may be better to find a local carrier that will allow you to work part-time or that has seasonal work.

86scotty and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.