Is there a UV dye you can use with a DEF system?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Adieu, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    I wouldn’t use a dye in the def system. Last thing you need to do is inject it and coat your SCR. Most are oil based, and non of that won’t mix with the catalyst.

Best advise would be to plumb in shop air with it on your jack stands and listen for the leak. If it’s all over then it’ll be audible.

speedyk and buddyd157 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Honestly DEF is water and Urea so Kool aid powder should work. Or whatever that Dye that is used by geologists to find water veins.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Problem with any sort of dye is DEF is a very specific mix of water and urea. Adding foreign components to it may cause other non leak related issues. And when I say specific I mean that. It's 32.5% Urea to the rest water.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Working2party Thanks this.
  5. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Like said above, don’t introduce any other chemicals to the system. It’s a really very delicate chemical reaction taking place. It can just as easily create NOX as remove them. If you get anything on the catalyst (SCR) you’re liable to kill the positive reaction. I’ve done it with city water. I’ve heard of it happening with a little bit ov solvent.

You’ll end up adding another 0 to your cost of repair!!

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    When DEF dries out it leaves a white residue. Like a supersaturated salt solution. If it's leaking, you will see it.

speedyk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.