Just out of curiosity do you use linux on laptop/desktop

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Luse, Jul 11, 2018.

1. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Longtime Linux user here. Currently using mint-xfce 19. Hardcore Apple user as well, first personal computer was a Macintosh 128K. Windows? I keep it around because I have some radio programming software and other bits that need it. Linux is my daily, though.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I would suspect as much, your "screen name" is all lower case. Standard *nix compatible user name. :)

4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    This thread made me pull out my old Thinkpad yoga and install arch on it. Now I need something technical to do to learn it better. Pacman seems simple enough, but ####ing systemd, how work.

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    IDK, I don't use it. It was just trying to do too much for me. :p

New KDE and GNOME want it so your probably stuck with systemd for those. MATE is a fork of the older GNOME without systemd, If you can find a distro that gives you a different init option....
    Linux distributions without systemd - Without Systemd

6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Ubuntu and Mint have the closest Window feels in my experience. Mint being my favorite of the two.

I used to be a heavy Linux user years back. Now i just stick with Windows. May as well support the company I am invested in.

7. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Anyone remember when KDE first came out and it was almost an exact copy of Windows?

8. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    One if these days I'll get into that. I have a laptop that was giving me fits, reinstall Windows and a day it two later it was starting to have problems again, then it wouldn't even boot properly. I thought that would be a good donor laptop, but then I went and put chrome os on it with cloud ready. It's working for what I need right now, so I might just stick with that. I'm too lazy to learn something new.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I hear you. I was in IT for 10 years more or less. Got burned out of having to learn tons of new #### all the time. You really have to be a geek to keep up with all that. I can do it, it just wore me out. When it came down to it all i really wanted to do was play games, watch movies, and manage investment accounts.

peterbilt_2005 Thanks this.
  10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yes :D
    Sadly, it still looks like Windows today. Well.. the default layout anyway.
    desktop.png

lilillill Thanks this.
  11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Who builds their linux kernel from source?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.