Leasing a car for an owner operator business?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Apr 19, 2019.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you'll never take me alive...!!!!!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    D...! All these things said here and there.... Is there a way to mask the IP address? LOL

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yes, we can put on one of these,

[​IMG]

Rideandrepair and TallJoe Thank this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Look, I don't doubt or wouldn't put it past some government agency(s) trolling websites & forums just like this for information. I can't believe the stuff people post on sites like Facebook, etc.

Rideandrepair and buddyd157 Thank this.
  6. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well, i'm sure glad, that when i won the power ball last year, i signed the ticket under my cat's name.....

Rideandrepair and Scooter Jones Thank this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Waaait a minute. Joe, you haven’t been gaining everyones “trust” since 2016 so you could launch an undercover tax sting operation and act like your one of the people being taken down have you?

FA9F6C9B-87E3-4BC7-80ED-E95B6E614223.jpeg

8. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I didn't lease a car through my business. But I did deduct mileage to and from my truck. Legally. My accountant told me what I needed to accomplish this. And 2 things are key. You have to have a dedicated home office. And park your truck at your customer's place of business. I was leased to a company that delivered groceries to local stores and parked at their warehouse. And had a spare room with ONLY my office equipment in it. Can't even use the closet for personal storage. All my miles from the office to my truck were a write off. 62 per day. And had to keep a ledger of starting and ending miles daily.

Now, from discussions with my accountant at the time, I was lead to believe that vehicle/mileage could not be written off unless you met the criteria I mentioned. If not, it was just as if you were driving to a factory job every day.

That said, companies buy/rent/lease cars all the time for employees (usually CEOs and the like) to drive as though it was a personal vehicle . So, talk to your accountant.

9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Ha! Ha! More threads seem like that... from HOS interpretations to shady taxes areas, many filled with quite bold statements. But at the and of a day we are all just avatars saying funny things. I am just a swimmer and I never typed this. LOL

Rideandrepair and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    lol

I’m just a question mark, which bodes the question... do I even exist?

11. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Driving to and from your truck isn't a legitimate business expense in the eyes of the IRS. You might get away with it for years, and then get nailed on an audit for years of back taxes. It's the same as driving to work for anybody and not considered a deduction. You also have to keep a mileage log of every mile for business unless your company name is on the doors and it's used strictly for business purposes. I had company cars for many years, and it just got to be too much of a pain in the butt to make it worth while.

Rideandrepair, TallJoe and roshea Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.