Less Jake and More Brake?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by AirbornandTrucking, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    And who was it who stated: "Who's ran through Strong City, KS? It's on US-50 hwy, about 20 miles west of Emporia. They reduce the speed from 65 to 45 mph, right at the bottom of a hill. I've tried slowing, no jakes, while loaded 85.5k, and finally about half way through the zone, I was down to 45. Just using my brakes."

Oh yeah...that would be YOU! You admitted that your service brakes were not up to the task of reducing your speed on that downgrade at the weights you are running.

I couldn't care less what you are permitted for. If you pay the state enough money, they'll issue you a permit even if the truck wasn't built to carry the weight. What is the manufacturer's stated GCWR? If it is only 80,000 pounds, you are overloaded if you are running 85.5K to 90K.

You don't have the RIGHT to drive on any road. It is a privilege. In order to KEEP that privilege, you have to abide by the rules put in place for each road you wish to use. If a municipality wishes to prohibit the use of jake brakes on THEIR roads, it is well within their rights to do so. You abide by their rules, or you don't drive on their roads. If you lack the ability to maintain control over your vehicle on ANY road, whether it is due to lack of skills on your part or substandard equipment on your vehicle, you should not be on that road. YOU DO NOT have the right to place the safety of anyone else in jeopardy. If your presence on the road does that, you have no business being on the road.

If a 3/4 mile downgrade causes your brakes to overheat, you have a problem with your brakes that you need to have checked out. If your brakes aren't overheating going down that hill, what's your problem again?

If your truck is equipped with OEM mufflers...or even aftermarket mufflers which meet the noise emission requirements the truck manufacturers must comply with, the "no excessive engine brake" signs do not apply to you....so what's your problem with them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.