List of Items to Make a Flatbed Drivers Life Easier:

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dcedlr, Sep 23, 2007.

What is your personal freight preference?

1. *

Dry van

15.6%
  2. *

Reefer

7.1%
  3. *

Flatbed

73.0%
  4. *

Tanker

8.5%
  5. *

Doubles/Triples

2.8%
  6. *

Other

6.4%
  1. travelr

travelr Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2008
    somewhere in mississippi
    curtain side , anybody pull one???????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. travelr

travelr Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2008
    somewhere in mississippi
    hey coonass, im here in miss., i need 2 get in on some of those oilfield loads.

4. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    I've pulled them twice. Not far either time. And I hope to never pull them again.

Dr. Venture Thanks this.
  5. Rodeo_Joe

Rodeo_Joe Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Blackstock, Ontario
    Why do you say never again? I pulled one twice.....worst part is the rubber in the rub rail tryin to get the strap through there

6. Lil Blue Pony

Lil Blue Pony Brown Eyed Girl

Feb 22, 2008
    Oh gosh dirty yes but also I remember getting dirty hauling bulk feed ingredients in a hopper it don't get much "funner" :biggrin_25512:than diggin off a load of fish meal under a hot July sun.....talk about dirty......but a plus to the flatbed deal is you do get good exercise.

7. dollylama

dollylama Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Marshfield WI
    Having a bolt & nut inside a stake pocket that you need to put a chain through is fun too, take pin out of chain hook, thread chain through, then resecure pin-I can hardly wait to do it in the winter! Sweaty, dirty, hard work, but if I can do it as a 48 year old grandmother, and as a new driver, anyone can! Enjoy the challenge, and expect lengthy securement time.:biggrin_25520:

8. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    I''ve never pulled a flat that had rubber in the rub rail so I dont know about that problem. And as for never wanting to pull them again, I dont know how ya'll can say that. I wouldnt want to pull anything else.

And Travelr I'm not sure if the company I work (ACME) has a terminal or not in Miss. but I would think so. It shouldnt be too hard for you to get into hauling oilfield loads, personally I love the work I do.

9. Rodeo_Joe

Rodeo_Joe Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Blackstock, Ontario
    all those curtain side trailers have a rubber strip in the rubrail to keep the rain/snow, slush from commin in through there

10. TNspeedy

TNspeedy Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Greeneville,TN
    As for backin....everbody that says flatbeders cant back is really just sayin i sure wish i could back like that flatbeder....work enviroment closest thang you will get to drivein on the ice road or fishin on a crab boat lol....and o yea on the backin thang...truck stop parkin lots are more designed for the trailer axles not to have a 10' 2 " spread so thank about that next time you have drove your 11 and are dead tired and backin in to one of the last few spots at a truck stop and a refer driver tells you to hurry up on the radio and keeps movein up while ur tryin to back in and then pulls the front wheel off the ground as soon as he has enough room to get through:biggrin_25525:

11. Chuckster

Chuckster Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I heard it's really tough in the winter time. Everything is frozen and hard to work with, the trailor is slippery, and your hands freeze while you tie everything down? Thats why I did'nt consider it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.