Local Driving, New Driver A Few Questions (Looking for Job Florida)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Craig List, May 30, 2019.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Florida Beauty Express in Miami runs teams to California every week.
    Click here > Florida Beauty - Transportation
    One new cdl school grad posted he made $1700 his first week.
    The big benefit is you get as much time off as you want after each trip without fear of losing your job.
    It's a hard running job with lots of stops between Miami and California.
    Teams cover a lot of miles in a short period of time. Sometimes Florida Beauty Express may have a triangle run from Miami to California to New York back to Miami. A team does this in a short period of time because there's no layovers at truck stops or goofing off with this company.
    It's a place to start right out of cdl school to gain some experience then move on to something local when you have a few months experience.
    Living where you do, it's difficult to start out exactly like you want; have to work a little harder for it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Craig List

Craig List Light Load Member

May 30, 2019

That true, but I am even having trouble finding like the local jobs like Pepsi or Coke, and I found them because I knew the companies exist in the are and are always hiring.
    What can I search online to make sure I don't miss any local jobs I guess is what I am asking. I would've never thought of Pepsi if I hadn't drove past it before.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check with temp services, CareerBuilder, Trullium.

5. Craig List

May 30, 2019
    Sysco might be an option. I came across them and noticed you posted a link about them as well.

6. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Mclane Foodservice will get you a CDL. You can work as a driver helper to see if you like it. That’s how my terminal did it. It basically showed you the job then you can decide if you want to drive. They have you with a trainer for 52k miles before they send you out on your own which imo is better then megas. You’ll be on the longer runs to get your miles.

My current company Saia has a dock to driver program. So you apply for the dock. Ask the TM about it. I don’t know much on it but it’s a good way to go instead of OTR.

Other LTL’s fedex, Estes, ABF, YRC, Holland, new pen, Reddaway have CDL programs especially the last four I mentioned. There’s no need to go OTR unless you want to. You just got to do some searching.

7. Craig List

May 30, 2019
    Thanks that is what I like to hear. Which I am going to make a list of a lot of these companies and search online and call. I have a friend who locked out about 11 years ago. He started working the doc at fedex and became a driver now he does night runs line haul and that is with FedEx.
    That is definitely probably the better option for me, the only thing that slowing me down is dock worker pay and how long before they put me in a truck, that part I will have to find out. I don't want to be stuck working a doc making $15 an hour for any amount of years. A couple months MIGHT be ok.

8. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I’m sure it’s not long. Depends on terminal. I just don’t know too much about it. But I do know most decent size terminals need drivers. So it could be faster process. Ask the TM and decide from there. I think from what I heard min is 90 days. I don’t believe it’s years at Saia. Dock is easier to find then drivers. Exp drivers are scared at our drive cam deal. So we aren’t a popular company among exp drivers. Why it might be a faster process then the other LTL’s. Our top out rate for local p&d drivers after July 1st is $29.77 hour OT after 8 or 40.

9. Craig List

May 30, 2019
    hmm. that is max 61k a year w/o OT. Good money non the less
    and drive cam? what do you mean a camera in the truck?
    How much do you pull in take home at SAIA every 2 weeks or weekly? How long have you been driving total amount of years and how long have you been at SAIA

10. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    We have an inward and outward facing camera in the truck. It records if there’s a accident, very hard braking, and sometimes hard bumps. Experienced Drivers don’t like It. Cause if your caught on the cell phone or tailgating you can get in trouble.

I’ve been driving for 13yrs.
    I’m grossing anywhere from 1700-2100 a week. I take home anywhere from 1175-1450 a week with a 8% deduction from my 401k. The high number is 6 day work week. I’m making .66cpm which on July 1st will be .685cpm. I run night linehaul. My 5 day work week should with the raise should make 95k a year. If I work extra I can make 100k. I am home everyday and my terminal I’ll be on a daytime run in about 5 years.

Not everyone can do night linehaul but if you can there is a lot of money to be made. And I believe the requirements is 1 year exp to go linehaul. You can transfer once you’ve got the experience from the city

We have guys in the city making excellent money probably 90k or more I’m sure. Also city guys can run a daytime linehaul run on the weekends.

11. Craig List

May 30, 2019
    #### that is sick money. I am 35 now I need to get on this train b4 i get to old.
    Yeah I need to get this year and start applying.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.