Logging Yard Move Clarification

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Grumppy, Feb 15, 2024.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I went to a local warehouse today to pick up my loaded trailer. I know there is no guard shack, no guard, no fence/gate and no "Private Property" sign. There is a "No Trespassing" sign... but no "Private Property" sign. So according to our company's top, head safety guy at the home office... we can't use YM.
    I say this because of a string of emails back & forth discussing the original violation. When he looked at google map satellite & street view. there were no guard shack, no gate or any private property signs. It is that specific related to this situation. So... "No Trespassing" wont suffice for "Private Property". It apparently has to be specific. I did not log yard move.

......... and see, that's what I'm sayin'........

Google map street view & satellite view is sometimes years old.... I mean , crap!

gentleroger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I'm curious, could you please have him evaluate 911 glory road, Green Bay, WI? Truck entrance is on spirit way. (3345?)

I'm interested in his thoughts.

North Pole Nightmare Thanks this.
  4. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    But it is on duty time that can be edited.

5. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    LOL... I'm gonna try not to upset the apple cart right now...

6. broke down plumber

broke down plumber Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2024
    This makes my head hurt and will be my Achilles heel in big rigging . Im gonna have so many safety violations from dumb sh t like this they wont let me drive a nail .

Grumppy Thanks this.
  7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    At the end of the day, the FMCSA has no jurisdiction once you are off the public roadway. You can drive around in a private yard 24/7 without ever taking a break and they don’t care. What they can do though is get you when you get back on the roadway. Yard moves are considered on duty, so it will go against your on duty time and dictate when you can get back on the road.

tarmadilo and wis bang Thank this.
  8. 201773

201773 Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Yes! When I was pulling containers out of Penn Terminals I would easily burn up 30 minutes of drive time going less than two miles distance if I wasn't constantly going On Duty every time my truck stopped.

With my current ELD I can go On Duty without stopping once my truck is under 5mph. Had to be completely stopped with my old unit.

9. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    As far as I'm concerned, yard move should be allowed anywhere off of a public street or highway. For example, you pull out of the shop at a TA/Petro past your 14. You should be able to do a yard move to a spot. Same for shipper or receiver. Off the street moving from office to door or yard, yard move. That's the kind of thing it was made for. Shouldn't have to nitpick whether or not there's a guard shack or gate.

DannyB and gentleroger Thank this.
  10. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    This is all allowed under PC... Dont understand what all the fuss about "yard move" is.
    Right out of the FMCSA website:
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/hours-service/list-proper-use-personal-conveyance

I bolded the 4 parts that basically allow you to log anything you want as "PC" time...

The following are examples of when operating a CMV is considered off-duty:
    1. Time spent traveling from a driver’s en route lodging (such as a motel or truck stop) to restaurants and entertainment facilities.

2. Commuting between the driver’s terminal and his or her residence, between trailer-drop lots and the driver’s residence, and between work sites and his or her residence. In these scenarios, the commuting distance combined with the release from work and start to work times must allow the driver enough time to obtain the required restorative rest as to ensure the driver is not fatigued.

3. Time spent traveling to a nearby, reasonable, safe location to obtain required rest after loading or unloading. The time driving under personal conveyance must allow the driver adequate time to obtain the required rest in accordance with minimum off-duty periods under 49 CFR 395.3(a)(1) (property-carrying vehicles) or 395.5(a) (passenger-carrying vehicles) before returning to on-duty driving, and the resting location must be the first such location reasonably available.

4. Moving a CMV at the request of a safety official during the driver’s off-duty time

5. Time spent traveling in a motorcoach without passengers to en route lodging (such as motel or truck stop), or to restaurants and entertainment facilities and back to the lodging. In this scenario, the driver of the motorcoach can claim personal conveyance provided the driver is off-duty. Other off-duty drivers may be on board the vehicle, and are not considered passengers.

6. Time spent transporting personal property while off-duty.

7. Authorized use of a CMV to travel home after working at an offsite location.

11. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Yard move & PC are two seperate things, two separate regulations & two seperate log options . Both have to be granted to the driver by the company & are optional. We have yard move but do not have PC available on our logging device. We have to call "Log Compliance" at the company to get approved for each PC request. They usually deny it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.