Losing respect from the public

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ronjeremyjr, Jun 23, 2020.

1. ronjeremyjr

ronjeremyjr Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2020
    NY Tristate Area
    Would you care if they reeked havoc on your loved ones?.

Wargames Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m sorry to say you may be right....

Wargames and 201 Thank this.
  4. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Naw, I expect the world to kiss my ### because I'm just that awesome.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  5. Stone Express

Stone Express Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    It is funny, I remember someone, somewhere wondering back in the day, who was tougher, a truck driver or a marine? Can anyone... fathom pondering that today?

Deregulation and schools did a lot of damage. When there where so many big union trucking jobs and seemingly every company had their own fleet of trucks, they represented the corporation away from home and most where considered making very good money. It was very difficult to get into the business. I remember when I got out of the Air Force in 1973, wanting to get into trucking, and had a guy with a stack of applications laugh at me.

I remember the big uproar when it was found out, (I think they used Roadway drivers as an example) that where making more than the average college professor at the time. Some just could not accept that.

Look at some of the old trucking footage on you tube, uniforms, ties and all looked super fit. The industry, as has the nation, has fallen a long way. "Respect is earned, not given."

6. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    That was an episode of Movin On.

201 Thanks this.
  7. Code-Head

Code-Head Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Virginia, USA
    That is entirely false. The perception of truckers have gotten better over the decades. Before ELDs truckers had a horrible reputation of being meth heads running days on end and causing a ton of casualties on the road. It's even documented in news headlines telling the public to avoid truckers at all costs and drivers education back then teaching how to stay away from truck drivers. That's drastically declined thanks to ELDs, HOS rules, and other safety measures put in place. Sadly, those trashy drug addicts still exist in the industry and make it bad for everyone else.

The only thing that the "schools" contribute to is the reputation of truck drivers being slow, not being the disgusting hideous crack head that truckers have been viewed as in previous generations.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Only 1% of random drugs tests given to truck drivers last year were positive. You shouldn't believe everything those fools at your driving school told you.

9. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Well said. Unfortunately that went out with bell bottom jeans....

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    HA! Claude Akins, man, and "the other guy". Wonder how many caught that, Movin' On. Truth be known, it was that show, and SATB, that convinced me to be a truck driver. Did you know, the producers of that show insisted on a double sleeper, which KW didn't offer at the time. It was because of the popularity of the show, KW decided to make double bunks.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  11. ronjeremyjr

ronjeremyjr Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2020
    NY Tristate Area
    The military gets much deserved respect by most Americans yet most of the American public doesn’t respect truck drivers. What most Americans don’t realize is a lot of truck drivers are former military.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.