Making the best of a bad cdl school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by dommac, Mar 21, 2019.

1. dommac

dommac Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Thanks for the heads up, I probably will take additional manual training with the school then. They told me manual transmissions wear out faster and the fee is to cover that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dommac

dommac Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Credit cards

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. dommac

dommac Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2018
    I live in Tampa, FL. I know many larger carriers use autos but down here many of the local companies use older rigs.

5. dommac

dommac Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Really hate to hear that man, It’s a shame trucking schools run like this especially considering how much they charge. I will probably just wait it out. Best of luck to you. I’ve found that in the hours on hours I wait, I just pop in headphones and memorize my pre trip or work on something else.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you have any companies on your radar to apply with?
    You looking for local work or long haul?

dommac Thanks this.
  7. Ironwindow

Ironwindow Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Winston Salem, NC
    That's the key, use your downdown time proactively. If you can't practice driving, practice something else!

dommac Thanks this.
  8. dommac

dommac Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2018
    I am very interested in the Fedex freight driver apprentice program. Other than that, pretty much anyone with local only work that will hire a 21 year old fresh out of driving school. Due to family I can relocate, I just cant drive long haul.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Comcar uses automatic transmissions and has local work.
    That FedEx job would be great if you can be hired there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Comcar Industries, Inc - Official Site
    https://comcar.com

dommac Thanks this.
  10. dommac

dommac Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Thanks so much for the Comcar reccomendation. That definitely took alot of stress off my shoulders, especially considering they're open to recent grads

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. humpingvan

humpingvan Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2019
    I am also stuck with a driving school that has way too many students and the owner of the company lead instructor and scheduler are his old drinking buddies and supposively the owner is sober.

Well I am stuck with the lead instructor and he makes my skin crawl. The scheduler isn't scheduling me for instructor led driving lessons; i am required to email the scheduler every week and I do. But end up with similator or evaluations and no actual behind the wheel lessons.

Its been two months and I haven't been on a simulator or training schedule or 2 weeks of which.

I can't get my money back. I can't afford to go to another school.

I am trying to figure out a strategy of finding a CDL class A driver with his own truck that is willing to allow me to pay him/her for a few hours of behind the wheel experience. And I will figure out where I can rent a non-commercial truck and trailer combination for backing up practice over a few weekends.

I expect this to cost me several hundred to a $1000. I just gotta figure out how to approach this plan. Any idea folks?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.