Manual vs Auto-shift transmissions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dahmer8afew, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Ranger_309

Ranger_309 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    I have driven an auto-shift, hated them, and I have well over 3 million miles under my belt as a professional Driver. I also owned my own trucks when I had my own small business for many years.

Here are my observations on this manual vs. auto debate B-S:

1. I would _NOT_ hire an auto-shift driver, because if you can't shift without thinking about it, you would be not be very safe to haul gasoline/hazmat, as well, IMO.

2. When auto-shifts hit the EXPENSIVE truck repair shop _AFTER_ they break, they take _longer_ to repair and they are more expensive to maintain AND repair, just like a car automatic tranny's are. Guess who gets to pay for that auto-s###t..err.. I mean "shift" repair?

You do, with *LESSER* wages!! Happy days, right...............NOT!!

3. Auto-shifts are _VERY_ slow to hit highway speeds of 55 to 75 MPH depending on your state laws. That increases the odds of an accident, particularly in the USA where ANYONE can get a drivers license, even illegal aliens. I can easily shift any manual tranny up to highway speeds. faster then "R-two-D-two" can, even on my worst day.

FYI, I _KNOW_, down deep where it hurts, that trucking is going to continue to go to the dogs, with crappy auto-###### transmissions, but I don't have to like it, last time I checked. Good luck newbies. you will NEED it in todays so-called "economy" and the world of driving in commerical highway vehicle operations.

BTW, I am #### glad I got to drive in the Good Old Days, before the advent of the auto-####..errr....shift, so-called ,"trucks" !!! Excuse an "old man" like me, but I have to go throw up my last meal now. :pukeleft:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TREE

TREE Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2010
    OHIO
    manual shift for me but after a year or so more i wouldn't cry if i got a auto.
    I am still glad i didn't learn on a auto.

4. rambler

rambler Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Yes there are advantages. I like complete and total control over my vehicle....that includes shifting up or down at my discretion. I drove a smart shift a couple of years and did not like it. To each his own.

5. bleach driver

bleach driver Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2011
    all over midwest
    took a autosh*t truck out for a dealer demo , was kind of impressed till I saw the extra cost and weight of the unit , in tanking it was nice as it keeps the sloshing down to a minimum because of the constant upshifting , but he down turn was I needed Pto drives and they are hard to rig on one and expensive to boot , and the extra heat it generates , also I won't hire a driver that cant poke and hope drive , I have had 2 applicants who went to schools that had slush boxes . neither got the job . One of them seriously asked me where the gear changer was at ... (I can't beleive a person spent that kind of money not to learn how to gearjam .)

6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    well, since you've gotten ZERO intelligent responses. I'm on my 2nd auto-shift equipped Mack. The first one-went 978,000 miles before we traded it in, 650,000 on the original clutch and the only reason they replaced it was the clutch brake had failed and they had to pull it anyhow. The shop said there was at least 100K left on it. My current Mack '09, has 238K miles on it, only one issue with the trans., it came with a 2-piece clutch brake, about 6 mos. ago the screws backed out and it fell out. 45 minutes later they had me back running. My first Mack is still on the road, it's a 2000 model, according to the dealer, it has 1.3 million miles and the trans still works perfect.

Now, as for misconceptions. ( Ranger 309, please read):

1. I will agree that everyone should learn to drive a manual for the exp.

2. Auto-shifts are manuals with a computer controlled gear shift. This BS that they are more expensive or complicated to repair is non-sense. My company currently has 12 tractors, 10 with auto-shifts 2 with manuals. The two manuals have under 750K and both have had the clutches replaced, both have been rebuilt, both are/were driven by drivers with 20+ yrs exp.. Of thse 10 auto-shifts, 9 are day-cabs, all have had over 400K, all have had the clutch replaced. Only one has had the trans. rebuilt, and they was from a synchro that failed and took out a gear.

3. Typically, an autoshift can be converted to a manual shift for about $1,000 to $1,200.

4. Auto-shifts weigh more, really? The only difference is the computer, X - Y motors, and shift tower, maybe 15 lbs, if your that concerned about weight start jogging.

5. I know several tanker companies that are running primarily auto-shift equipped tractors.

6. They don't work in Mtn's. Really, then how the hell have I been able to run two different auto-shift equipped trucks in Colorado's mtn's for more than 10 yrs, consistently grossing 75,000 lbs +.

7. They don't accelerate well. Depends on the driver and how it's being controlled. If left in auto mode, yes they are slow to accelerate, if shifted in manual mode, they are quite quick to accelerate. Yes, the computer will not let you intentionally damage the trans. Also, all Eaton auto-shifts can be reprogrammed, unless spec'd otherwise, they come from the factory set for economy, they be programmed for different shifting.

6. Auto-shifts and automatics are two different animals, learn the difference, a true automatic does weigh more and they do have more issues and do cost more to repair.

Dan.S, bottomdumpin and Scania man Thank this.
  7. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    What are you talking about? Mine was a VERY intelligent response!

8. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co

sorry, I got sidetracked by one person, I'm in partial vacation mode and two beers into vacation mode.

9. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    Don't worry striker... I'm just yanking your chain:biggrin_25526:

10. Frenzy

Frenzy Medium Load Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It would take a lot to convince me to buy a manual shift. My truck is a 2000 Century Freightliner with a 10spd autoshift. The truck has almost 1.4 million miles on it and the transmission has never failed. The clutch was replaced after the engine was rebuilt at 940K. I'm sure the clutch going out had nothing to do with having the engine being turned up;) I've pulled 3 axle refer loads (86k gross) and very light 2 axle loads, never had a problem with control on mountain grades, summer or winter.

I guess to drive one you have to be smarter than the button.

11. Irondog

Irondog Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Well, first let me say I've never had an auto-shift. Secondly, I never will unless forced to. In my opinion, it takes the skill out of the issue. Part of driving, I think, is the ability to upshift and downshift properly. Call me OLD SCHOOL, it's OK. A bud of mine used an auto and he said it sucked big time when backing into a hole...especially if it was a tight one or blindside. He told me it was harder to control the speed for creeping into a back when needed. Myself....I just DON'T like them.
    I know...I'm being a bit "narrow-minded", but it's my mind. I can close it off if I want to. I think I just like the control.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.