Mechanical Detach or Hydraulic Detach for an RGN

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jldilley, Oct 3, 2022.

1. jldilley

jldilley Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    Hey, everyone! I’m still planning on purchasing a mini deck next year. Originally, I was planning on buying a trailer with a hydraulic detach. The more I talk to drivers experienced with these trailers, the more I wonder if I should just get a mechanical detach instead. According to most of the drivers I’ve talked to, they very rarely actually detach the neck from the trailer. Most of the freight they run is put on with a crane or some other piece of equipment. If this is the case, perhaps I should save the money and the time and just have a mechanical detach built instead. What do you think? For those of you who have experience with a mini deck, are you glad you have a hydraulic detach? Would you miss it if you didn’t have one? Do you wish you had one? Thanks for your advice.

-Josh

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    I didn’t take advice from a buddy a few years ago and I bought a used mechanical neck. I did a lot of drive on drive off though. If I did it again it would be a pony Motor. Just my opinion. Unless you know you will never detach.

MartinFromBC and jldilley Thank this.
  4. jldilley

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    Thank you for weighing in. I thought I would be, but apparently most of the mini deck freight at Landstar doesn’t call for detaching. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  5. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    If rarely front loading, go mechanical.
    Are your trucks all wet kitted already ?

I rather like the little honda gas engine powered hydraulic system for an rgn, means anything can pull it, because not every truck is set up wet.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    W923, jldilley and wis bang Thank this.
  6. jldilley

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    No, neither of them have a wet kit and most people say that the pony motor is the way to go, if I’m going to go with a hydraulic detach.
    I’m thinking the same thing. If I rarely front load, then I should just go mechanical. I need more time and advice before I make a final decision.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  7. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018

If you don't use it much, still keep everything well greased, and a couple times a month fire the honda up and cycle the system on your days off.

jldilley Thanks this.
  8. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    the benefit of a hydraulic neck trailer is not necessarily the taking the neck off.

if I was running mini deck (and I am not) - with 0 inches ground clearance - I #### sure would want to be able to lift up.

you know for things like railroad tracks, road crowns, driveways, pieces of paper on the ground - bugs, snakes and painted lines.

W923, IH Truck Guy, AModelCat and 7 others Thank this.
  9. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018

A single sheet of paper should be okay, but if folded in half you got problems :)

10. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Only cheap copy paper….

11. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Bingo. I think xl or trailking make an air powered hatbox. That’s another route to go.

Miller Transfer does zero RORO freight and spec most of their double drops with hydro necks for adjustment.

singlescrewshaker and jldilley Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.