Must have tools

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Art08, Feb 22, 2018.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    My situation is different, I carry quite a few tools, including the stuff to change a tire, and parts too, there is not really any service trucks to call, and if one did, it would be in the thousands of bucks. lol

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Why is that, that it would cost thousands of bucks for a service truck, Still there problem IMHO....... If there going to play they have to pay, there truck there profit there problem.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm assuming he's talking about running up into the Arctic Circle in Alaska. Can't get much more remote than that.

FlaSwampRat and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    500 miles with pretty much no services, most of it dirt road, one place that can possibly change a tire, if you have one there for them to swap it out with.
    In my case it is my truck, so I am the one that gets to pay, unless it is on the trailer, then if something happens, you eiher fix it or drop it and leave it, and you will only get paid to where you left it. I have bobtailed back to town to get parts for the trailer, they did pay me for all bobtail miles, just as if I was loaded.
    A company driver has the option of catching a ride and leaveing his truck, or decking it up on an empty flatbed and bringing it back, but this is usually when it is something that can't be fixed by drivers.
    A company driver that is not willing to do minor repairs, is pretty much worthless here and will have be a short timer, to be sure. Other drivers will get him on the road, but that only goes so far when it is because the driver does not carry tools or is unwilling to do it himself. If he just doesn't know how, other drivers will help him, but he at least had better be in the learning mode if he plans to stay around.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Fmlfrtho

Fmlfrtho Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Hacksaw, hammer, socket set, screwdriver with torx set, flat head screwdriver, tie wire, ring clamps, multimeter, shrink tubing, roll of wire, basically everything you need to repair electrical faults. Flashlight too. Always keep your eye on the charging system, tire condition, oil pressure, and fuel filter.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. Fmlfrtho

Fmlfrtho Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Had a guy freeze to death up north. Like, way north NWT

8. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Crescent wrench, valve wrench and a convertible screwdriver.
    If I breakdown I put the info on peoplenet, cc the boss, dispatch and shop. Then I make sure my phone is charged, grab a snack and wait on duty and start looking for lodging options.

plankton Thanks this.
  9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Had a younger than me, guy blow a brake chamber in the pit one day. Older trailer with mannuel slacks. I carry cage bolts, but these chambers were so rusty I wouldn't advise to put one in. Anyhow told him to get a 9/16" wrench and a hammer. Comes back with a turn buckle from a dump trailer lock for a hammer and says I dont know were or if there are any wrenches in the truck. So I go get mine. Kid thanks me, And I lit him up. He was blaming his boss for the equipment and no tools. You pretriped it and operated it and you dont have a 9/16th wrench. Your pulling a trailer with mannuel you are best to know how to adjust them. I helped you because your in my way and about 30 other trucks. I know his boss, it is junk equipment and cheap. Kid then sat there for 3 hours for a service call for a chamber 30 miles from thier garage. Guess it's a pair that deserves each other.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i was never paid to be a mechanic, in fact, EVERY company i had ever worked for, forbid any of it's drivers to make repairs.

but (for me), i'd get from the shop a couple of spare light bulbs, (especially headlights), one wiper blade, and some glad hand grommets, and maybe a gallon of coolant, and a gallon of oil.

as for tools, i can assure you that i carried a VERY small plastic tool box, with a pair of pliers, torx screw drivers, Phillips and straight head screwdrivers, and cutting pliers, and electrical tape.

service was only a call away for major items, like flats and brake cans.

if it was a small repair i could make, fine, if not, 1-800 (whoever i had to call)

and by the way, there was NO extra pay at any company to work on those trucks or trailers.

anyone that gets "some type" of pay, you're lucky.

plankton and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We're lucky in that most of our drivers are good with a wrench.
    Example...I get a call on the company radio from one of our trucks way back in the woods. Driver says "I blew a radiator hose, The little short one on the bottom, can you send me up another one on the next truck?" I asked him if he wanted a mechanic too and he said "Naw, just the hose, I'll change it myself. Better send me some coolant, too." I sent everything up on the next truck.
    The driver, who got paid for his waiting...and his fixing...saved me the cost of our mechanic having to quit an engine overhaul that needed to be done that day and wouldn't have been finished at all in time for it's scheduled load that night.
    The driver that did the fixing? He lost two loads of rock but when you factor in the cost of the loads, Jet-A, that would have been lost by the truck that didn't get finished I still came out ahead.
    I realize that this wouldn't work for every company. I've seen drivers that I wouldn't trust with anything more complicated than a roll of duct tape. But for us, having the guys be able to do minor chores on the trucks is almost always a money maker for everyone involved.

plankton, Lepton1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.