MY 1969 PETE ON YOUR STEPDECK? SHOT IN THE DARK!!

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by BIGZILLA, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    It is confusing, but the 318 is considered naturally aspirated. The blower isn't considered a supercharger, as it provides little boost at the gear ratio they run. To "supercharge" them, they put a single turbo and it became a 350. The 12v71 had either a single turbo or twin turbo set up. If a guy is going to build a hot rod, the twin turbo is the way to go.

Oxbow, PeteyFixAll and BIGZILLA Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BIGZILLA

BIGZILLA Heavy Load Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    That's a beautiful truck.

Oxbow and rank Thank this.
  4. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
  5. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I've heard of people changing the drive gears in the blower to gain boost. Can't confirm it though. Is that possible?

@NorthernMechanic

6. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Anything is possible with enough time, money, and a welder.... Lol, I know how you feel with people saying you're ruining a truck. I had a 95 Chevy S-10 that I put on full air ride, I could lay the frame on the ground. Then divorce happened, and she sold it while I was away on military duty.

Oxbow, tsavory, rank and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I wish I could answer you. My dad had a friend who was the hot rod guy at Detroit. They're both long gone. No one to ask anymore.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The blower on these Detroits is mainly for scavenging. They aren't really intended to produce much boost in this application. More like large volume of air at low pressures to clear the exhaust gasses out of the cylinder. This is why non-turbo Detroits are still considered naturally aspirated engines despite having a blower. Adding turbos will produce boost though. Never heard of changing the gears out to increase blower speed. I suppose its possible but the possible gain vs cost, time and reliability probably makes adding a turbo or 2 a better option IMO.

Bean Jr., Oxbow, tsavory and 2 others Thank this.
  9. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    Thanks.

I have sold a few blowers to hotrod shops and race engine builders (gas) but recently they have been 8v92's for the turbo version and two dif buyers said they changed the gears. But they wont talk specifics. That makes me curious!

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Maybe they have kits to do that in the hotrod world. I was thinking this was something that needed to be machined and built from scratch.

11. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    They're both secretive about it, so they probably have developed something that works they dont want to share. Or theyre full of ####. LOL
    Ive googled the crap out of it and cant find anything close.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.