My Experience as a Line Haul Driver

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by American-Trucker, Apr 14, 2012.

1. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

i read that 3 times and i still have NO idea what your trying to say....I already worked for LST, i dont need to ask drivers what its like lol.

American Trucker

L.B. and opium eater Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    Man I remember when you were at LS you would make the best of your week off, boating, friends, chicks, etc. You might have had to put in 5 weeks for that week off, but you seem to be absolutely miserable with CT, even with the alure of home daily and weekends off it still doesn't seem to be a good fit with where you're at in life. I recall you stating how much money you were able to put aside in your first year of OTR and I know many guys our age, and older who would love to have a bank account with those kind of numbers in it. You're not making much at CT, plus you're hit with the daily expenses of a normal, home everyday life. I guess the question now is whether you're wanting to bank a few more years with the kind of living LS can give you, or are you really ready to settle down and "just get by" like you're doing at CT?

You're still young, the stability of your future is in your hands brother.

4. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    I think you would change your mind given the right company. One that paid by the hour, overtime after 8 hours, an 8 hour guarantee per day and a Monday thru Friday work week.

5. driverjoe

driverjoe Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Nights isnt all bad. It can be a little tough living in a different time frame than most BUT while most are snoozing you are moving about the quiet highways and streets.

6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I'd just keep my eye on Craigslist and your ears open. I didn't like my first freight gig either and ended up only doing 3 months with them before I found a much better one willing to give me a shot.

UPS Parcel is still the top of the heap as far as pulling freight wagons is concerned. They do occasionally hire outsiders. I'd work for them someday perhaps.

7. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

whos whats to settle for a shety job? of course i dont. i dont want to be the 60yr old driver sitting at the bar in the TS eating, hopeing to god that someone sits near me so i can have someone to talk to. I'd like to have a life ya know, friends, Gf/wife, kids, house, hobbies lol. Sure haveing a nice chromed out pete is baddarse but what do you have (read: leave behind) when you die? do you think that big sexy pete is going to miss you? cry that your gone? hello no it wont lol. I dont know what i want to do yet, but i need to figure it out quick....

American Trucker

opium eater and sammycat Thank this.
  8. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    AT
    haven't posted in awhile but keeping tabs/reading your posts: what you say I think for most is very true. OTR is not easy-especially if you want a family wife or ''normal'' life. On the other hand- you really do not like the job you have now -despite being home and having the time to do those ''things.'' Sometimes you need to just step back a bit and really exam it all. What do I give up if I go back OTR? As someone posted earlier-you sure did make the most of your home time and you really did seem to get it when you wanted it with out alot of trouble. Stay local: what do I gain by staying at a job I don't like.
    I left a job a few years ago and took a huge pay cut-depsite I really loved the job- it was killing me and over all the pay cut and change was worth it in the end.

I hope you find what works best for you!

American-Trucker and Wedge Thank this.
  9. Wulfwynn

Wulfwynn <b>Brand New CDL Holder</b>

Sep 6, 2011
    Kannapolis, NC
    Dude, you're still young. Go OTR and bank up your money. Then when you've got plenty saved you can come off the road and find you a nice job where you can have a "normal" life and don't have to worry about money. ;)

10. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Figure out what you really enjoy doing. What you have a passion for and do that. At your age getting caught up in a lot of debt is the worse thing you can do. The old addage:

"If you love your work, then you never work a day in your life." is very true. Start with what you really enjoy doing and go from there with singular focus. If you keep your living expenses low enough you can do anything to make a living. The happiest people I know are not the ones rolling in cash. They are the ones content with what they have. They don't run the rat race and let society dictate to them what being successful is. The guy who dies with the most toys usually loses.

11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I'm not truly on salary. I pull dry bulk tanker and anyone who has ever done it knows there are slow times. What my boss does is takes anything over my weekly salary, holds it for the slow weeks so I get a full paycheck every week whether I work or not. He has it on my pay stubs what he's holding back and if I ever need money all I have to is call and I will have a check in the mail. May be a little different way of doing things, but over winter it sure is nice collecting a paycheck and not going to work vs. unemployment. And NO I am not planning on leaving this job anytime soon.....I work Monday through Friday and have weekends off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.