My Prime INC Experience. (A Running Log)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JimmyBones, Mar 4, 2013.

1. JimmyBones

JimmyBones Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Baxley, GA
    Yes, still with Prime. I mentioned just a couple weeks ago that I am buying a truck through here.

joewispers and bigred81 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. anon6655

anon6655 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Michigan
    If you don't have a family, or are ex military. Prime Inc is a great company. I've been lease for about a year and average about 4-4.5k a month and am out about 25 days. Great equipment too, trucks aren't the fastest (which I'm sure you have seen) but they're efficient on fuel even at 65mph to avoid dipping too deep into your line haul pay.

bigred81 Thanks this.
  4. thesstype

thesstype Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Hello, very interesting thread here. What's the age policy for riders with company drivers? I have two sons, 4yr old and 16mo old. I'm considering Prime, & live in Altadena, CA; about 50 miles from Fontana. What's their closest terminal to me?

JimmyBones Thanks this.
  5. unholy7

unholy7 Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2014
    I think it's 10 years old. And you drive your truck home

JimmyBones Thanks this.
  6. michaelg

michaelg Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Michigan
    We have terminals in Salt Lake City as well as Denver, and drop yards in Fontana and I believe there's a couple others around the LA area but i'm not 100% sure on that.

JimmyBones Thanks this.
  7. Double-L137

Double-L137 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Been reading this post for awhile. Currently working as a union apprentice (heavy equipment operators) for a crane rental company in Owensboro KY. With current politics I believe that the construction trades are going to take a big hit in wages etc..I also miss the road adventures. Looking at Prime as a soft landing when it does hit. Had my CDLs since Nov 08. Had a short gig with Werner, then was local for about 5 years. Currently I drive a truck about 4 or 5 days a week, but only about 300 to 350 mile round trips or less, hauling counterweights and other crane parts and setting them up. Would I have to go out with a trainer since I'm a low milage driver? Also I've seen cpm increases since the start of the post, what is the current cpm as of today? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any info.

8. michaelg

michaelg Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Well as far as I know, as of a few months ago it was still 43 cpm to start out with no experience once you've upgraded to an A seat and have your own truck. That's 38 cpm + an additional 5 cpm for being in a lightweight, which is what they'll place you in unless there are some special circumstances. You'll also get up to an additional 6 cpm based on your weekly MPG. If you can stand going 55-58 and getting the middle finger all day you'll be able to push that overall CPM rate up close to 49 cpm as a rookie.

That type of local gig very well might land you credit for experience. I would definitely talk with a recruiter on that as they would know for sure, but it's certainly worth mentioning as that could potentially up your starting rate right out of the gate.

I'd venture to say most of us company drivers running solo are in the ballpark of 10k miles per month. Good average miles to expect is right around 2.3-2.5k weekly. But there are also variables too, IE work ethic, on time%, safety record, motivated fleet manager ect...

hal380 and Double-L137 Thank this.
  9. bigred81

bigred81 Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    With that type of experience have you looked into a flat bed fleet? Like Melton or PGT? They seem to pay better, but I have no personal experience with them.

10. Double-L137

Double-L137 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2012
    They may pay better, but I hate dealing with tarps, and currently I don't have to mess with them.

bigred81 Thanks this.
  11. joewispers

joewispers Medium Load Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Amityville,N.Y.
    Hey J.B.. I have not been around for awhile, see you are buying your own, best of luck to you.

JimmyBones Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.