My Prime student-to-lease experience

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Ex Primus, Jul 8, 2019.

1. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I talked to a prime recruiter like 10 years ago and didn't make it much past introducing ourselves before the "do you want to be your own boss" #### started. I've never seen a company jump to that so quick and then constantly talk about it once you say no. Needless to say.....I have never worked for prime.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ex Primus

Ex Primus Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Yeah, that's where I'm thinking my trainer came in... What mine would do is pull out his phone after we finished a load and just go dead silent while I'm at the wheel. We'd sit for about 20 minutes while he just looks over the load and does his magic I guess you could say.

Can't complain about the offer to pay for meals (I could cover my food at that point), but... Yeah there were plenty of questions I still had. Dude took off after he dropped me at the terminal like a bat out of hell and about 1 week after that he left Prime (He did that multiple times I guess). In fact, I realized how badly I screwed up when I was told to get back to the terminal and I had no way to take my belongings from that truck home... I had to buy a car in that city, but if I didn't have those funds? Yikes.

As for the dead batteries? Yeah. I had money and loans coming in, and the last thing I wanted was to have something else I didn't or couldn't check on the truck break while my money that's coming in doesn't cover those payments. Not to mention... It was an International. So no battery switch. As in if they drag their feet on fixing those batteries, I might be frozen or boiling in that truck while I wait for someone to jump start it. Oh, and no sleeper curtain lol. So I imagine all the indecency charges I'd be racking up would have me as a registered sex offender in no time. I can almost guarantee that would be a "You can buy one of those yourself" sort of repairs.

It's bad. Really bad. The worst part is there's no way the company can reward you with some kind of payment. Like, "Hey you delivered X loads on time (yes I could manage that), here's a free payment. Take a week off."

One more thing, and I'll add this to my opening post:
    • Their trailers have sensors. They go off from too much movement, but not once did a sensor going off affect my load. Every single time it affected my reputation though.

GlobalFM001 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    3500.00 a week? That's 18200.00 a year, Stevie Wonder can see that won't work.

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Note to self: Avoid ticking off cute girl at Prime desk....

Texas_hwy_287, Bumper, mjd4277 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    This sounds as though you are not an Owner operator.... My company, and I am a company driver.... Does Not monitor my off duty breaks. BUT.... If I except load, and the scheduled delivery appointment....it is on me to deliver. If I say, I cannot make such and such delivery time.... the delivey appt is adjusted. That being said....if a Rigger with cranes has an appt... I either accept the load, or lose it....

88228822, D.Tibbitt and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Like parents with a newborn............. we try to teach them from our mistakes, yet are told we are stupid, they will do better. Hopefully they will. Sadly most ask to come back to the nest after learning the hard way, we might have been correct. We hope they prove us wrong.... and thankfully, some do.... sadly, most don't.

D.Tibbitt and TROOPER to TRUCKER Thank this.
  8. diesel guy454

diesel guy454 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2011
    salina ks
    I would rather be homeless and live under a bridge than to work for Prime.

88228822, mjd4277, sevenmph and 2 others Thank this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Those drama queen youtubers that promote the prime and other mega company fleece deals are not helping. Just brings more newbies to fall in the trap

10. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I told the lady I wasn't interested because I didn't know the business at all...I knew I would fail from the start, can't be in control of something you have NO idea how to do but she just kept going on about it so I told her thanks but no thanks.

Texas_hwy_287, sevenmph and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. GlobalFM001

GlobalFM001 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019

OP, is it a 1 year lease? Do you own the truck after?

Adieu, Frank Speak and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.