Needing help from 5.6mpg to 6mpg+++

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by MagicMan83, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Nothing to be sorry about we are all brother here..

feldsforever and MagicMan83 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Be careful when checking your tires very often. I know we’re supposed to do it daily, but sometimes if you’re not careful, the valve will stay open after checking the PSI with a tire gauge. To prevent this, pump the valve a couple times, then check the PSI. Then place your finger over the valve to ensure no air is leaking.

4. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Problem is.. it pull be one thing. Or 10.. death by 1000 cuts..
    1. Make sure charge air cooler and intake are holding pressure. A small leak can be MILES per gallon
    2. Overhead. Valve adjustment can hurt fuel economy
    3. Tire pressure..and ROLLING RESISTANCE. The wrong tires can be 1/2 mile per gallon.
    4. Your right foot.
    Any, or all of these can be your problem and cost you $$$$$. Start here.
    Make sure they are all OK. Then change oil and do a sample at a REAL lab, not a bench top. Make sure there is no fuel or antifreeze in your oil pointing to bigger issues.
    Any questions fire away.

blairandgretchen and MagicMan83 Thank this.
  5. MagicMan83

MagicMan83 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2020
    Festus MO
    Hey thank you I will check this out

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  6. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Never take out the air cleaner and put it back in. I know people do this but it NOT a good idea or recommended. Use a restriction gage.
    Doesn't affect fuel mileage but might save the motor.

7. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Accelerate like you have Mrs Daisy ridding shotgun. Slowly roll into the throttle. Try to do the slow roll in stop in go traffic instead of repeatedly stopping to then move 5 feet.

Once you have found your cruising speed sweet spot, take offs are the next biggest fuel guzzling thing you can fix for free.

8. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    When you upshift do you shift on the pin [governor] all the time? Always shift on torque not rpm.

Mike beat me to it.

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    U will never get good fuel mileage on a flatbed rolling that heavy, hauling different shape freight each load. Its the cost of doing business and running a flatbed. I would go out on a limb and say it will be very hard to find a flatbedder getting over 7 mpg consistentily running otr

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That argument can be beat to death and back, me personally i would never run these emissions motors under 1400 rpms. Are asking for a plethora of emissions problems running lower than that and lugging it out . Idk why all of a sudden these engine manfacuters think its a good idea to be running engines below 1500 ? Been around equipment and engines all my life and this a new way of thinking. In my experience u always wanted high rpm and be using the power band of the engine rather than lugging and out and hammering that engine at 12 and 13 rpm using the torque. That is just bad if u ask me. I run my truck in 12th gear at 1700 , like an engine should be ran

11. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    I don't agree with you
    Define ''lugging''.

dosgatos Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.