New TA parking policies being put in place...

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by drvrtech77, Mar 7, 2020.

1. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. geordi

geordi Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2020
    St. Paul, MN to New Hampton, IA – Weight: 48,071 – No tarp – Rate: $425

I looked it up b/c I was curious, that's 150 miles of a pretty straight shot depending on the to/from locations... Not great, but at least it's short? Less than 20 gallons for that distance, what rate would you want?

4. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    That singularity line of thinking is stupid on their behalf though. They’ll just be crossed off my list of places to stop altogether. Sure sometimes I might stop and cook my own food and throw trash out but the next five times I stop at their locations I’ll probably go in and spend money. That’s how it works. I shouldn’t feel obligated to go into your #### truck stop every time I’m there and spend money. I might spend nothing one time and $250 the next four times I stop there.

chimbotano and geordi Thank this.
  5. Cowboyrich

Cowboyrich Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Dayton, Washington

I'm not going to argue your point because you're correct. My statement was intended towards those that only go use the facilities after they're done shopping at walmart and cook in the truck. Then never go inside for anything.

I have spent alot of money in "truck stops" over the years, and they are just like the rest of us they want to make money, if the store isn't doing it they will find another way. Like I said dont want to argue just the way I see it.

Dale thompson, bzinger and JonJon78 Thank this.
  6. geordi

geordi Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2020
    You aren't wrong either - But what I've seen is that of the three big chains, TA/Petro are the only ones that seem to actively look to charge (and a LOT) for unreserved parking, and have a rather confrontational attitude about the whole thing.

As drivers of ANYTHING on the road - 4 wheeler, truck, RV, we have the option to go where we are welcomed and spend money where we choose. There's no shame in any business wanting to make money - that's the whole point of being out here, otherwise we'd all be home watching SportsCenter. (yeah, I know, but you get the point)

The thing is, there are some independent or way older locations for Pilot and Loves that might be a little smaller or on the dirtier side. But those tend to be the exception. I refer to the Pilot ones as "Fake Pilots" b/c they are either ONLY a fuel island (like the one in Massachusetts outside of Boston, NOT the one in Milford CT) or the Sadler "Pilot" at exit 75 in NC on I-95. Those are licensed locations and frankly.... Not places I prefer to stop. Even the reclaimed Wilco/Hess locations that are now Pilot stations have all been renovated and are large, clean, and offer (usually) decent amenities if not better food than rubber subway sandwiches.

BUT for the TA/Petro locations.... It seems that the vast majority of them are way older independent / licensed locations that have been left to their own devices FAR too long and just aren't worth the time to stop. Smaller locations, stuffed to the rafters with tourist-trap crap and restrooms that look like they haven't been serviced OR renovated since the invention of indoor plumbing.... No thanks. Then when they add on the demand that we WILL pay them a fukton of money for their potholed parking too? Nah, I'll just go to the next exit (usually) and stop at the shiny new Loves. They don't crap on me as a customer, they welcome me.

Businesses are free to operate as they see fit. But indirectly telling your customers that they aren't welcome is NOT the best way to keep them as customers, and they have the ultimate power: To destroy your business by simply leaving. Adaptation to the market is key, those who don't, won't survive long. I suspect TA is going to figure this out, one way or the other reasonably soon.

48Packard, Cowboyrich and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.