Newbie 0 Experience with a permit

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Drea, Dec 29, 2018.

1. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    Schneider used to be woman friendly and a good starter company. Low pay though. What say you @Chinatown ?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I would go with a dry van company if I were you .... reefer loads deliver mostly in the early am or night into a lot of bad neighborhoods and I have known a few women that have switched for that very reason. dry are a lot easier to run in the daylight .. there are plenty of companies that run day cabs in the automotive industry frieght and that's mostly regional stuff where you are home every night or at least on the weekends and you live in the perfect area .. that would be a good starting point and factory delivering is a lot more driver friendly than foodstuffs and safer areas useually

UturnGirl Thanks this.
  4. Midnight_tim

Midnight_tim Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2018
    That's some pretty solid advice right there. Between those two posts I hope your question has been answered.

I would recommend staying with Dry Van as a starter. Plenty of Dry van loads and most of them will keep you sane as it's easier (in my opinion) to control where you go and the delivery hours are more stable. I've found with most Reefer loads to have odd hours for delivery and pickup. Your mileage may vary of course.

UturnGirl Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Stevens Transport - www.stevenstransport.com
    Hires students from all states.
    INDUSTRY LEADING TUITION SHARE AND REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAMS
    At Stevens Transport, we see the value of not only adding skilled, talented drivers to the industry, but also giving students the opportunity to learn! If you do not have the financial means to go to an outside training program, we do offer company sponsorship. This sponsorship includes:
    • Training
    • Lodging
    • Meal Money
    • Assistance
    • Transportation to the Academy from Your Home
    [​IMG]

6. drumchaos

drumchaos Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    Also check out R.E. West. Based in TN but from what I hear have a lot of Michigan runs. Dry van or Flatbed. They also offer paid CDL training with no commitment. They only ask that you stay 6 months or pay back the cost of the physical/drug screen ($85) and any sign on bonus. I interviewed with them last week. Everyone I met was really nice and got a good vibe from the place. Small family owned business trucks are 2016 and newer Cascadias with APUs.
    I’ve spoken with a few drivers that had nothing but good things to say about them.

Db-Ky Thanks this.
  7. Db-Ky

Db-Ky Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2018
    Kentucky
    I've never heard of RE West ,but from what i have read on their website they dont sound bad at all..They get all the checks done before orientation..The way it should be done..

drumchaos Thanks this.
  8. drumchaos

drumchaos Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    Yea, that was another reason that I decided to go with them. Seems like they don’t want to waste their time or the prospected driver. I have to fulfill my current obligation but due to a lay off. Gotta finish the month to get the severance but I’ll be starting my new career with them and their training program at the end of this month.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.