No CDL...gooseneck anyone cited over 26K?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Chris Routh, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Only in a few states. In most states as long as you are under 26k combined weight rating and actual weight it does not matter if your trailer is over 10k.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Wrong, that's federal law

4. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    No it's not. You are wrong. If it is federal law post it up.

10k on the trailer determines if you need a class a or class b cdl IF you are over 26k but if you are not it doesn't matter.

I have my own DOT number and have for ten years and we run a lot of pickups under 26k pulling trailers over 10k and none of the drivers have cdls and we go through scales, roadside stops, etc all the time

24kHotshot and Lite bug Thank this.
  5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Correct if the combined GCWR is under 26K ...like a 8500 gvwr f150 pulling a 15k gvwr trailer.

However if they're rated to carry over 26k combined , the acual weight being under that wouldn't remove the requirements.

Is that what you meant ?

Here's the FMCSR
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/383.91

swaggerjacker Thanks this.
  6. Slay

Slay Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Under 26k and you are good to go. Six years under 26k.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  7. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Eight years under 26

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That also depends upon what state you're from. Illinois, for example, has a class D license which is "under 16k"...which is what pretty much everybody has since that's what they took their driving test in when they were 16. Problem is, you get a 3/4 ton pickup and a trailer with a pair of 4K axles and you may be over what you're licensed for. Other states, the class C is their lowest, so they're good to 26k. That's something a lot of folks don't think about around here, and I'm surprised it isn't more heavily enforced. Just because it's a personal vehicle and a personal trailer doesn't mean you don't have to hold the proper license to drive it.

flatbedcarrier and Lite bug Thank this.
  9. Chris Routh

Chris Routh Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Another question for you all with some HYPOTHETICAL math.....with today's Ram 3500's, the GVWR is 14k. To stay at/under 26K, then you'd have to find/de-rate the trailer to 12K. That's going to make it hard to keep your trailer and load under the 12K, even if the trailer weighs only 5K like the Take 3 Ultralite 48. The truck weighs around 9K loaded, which allows 12K for the cars, with the trailer at 5K. Let's say 20% tongue weight so the trailer will be around 13.6K. That's over the 12K GVWR. Question: Will Dot take the trailer de-rating to 12K into consideration and just ignore it, since the axle/tire ratings will obviously be just fine, because that trailer probably had a 14K original GVWR rating? Take 3 actually allows you to order that Ultralite with a 12k rating, or 14K rating, but exactly the same equipment. They say the length even with a 2016 Ram will stay just under 65ft, but I'm not buying it. I've heard that Texas is the only one enforcing that 65ft rule with pickups now, since they finally recognize many semi's with custom hauler beds, and neither can carry cargo in the bed's, like a box truck towing a trailer. I'm actually considering this scenario with another driver, for just a while before upsizing with CDL, but now with a wedge, just a Kaufman 3 car/2 Truck. As far as I've read, CA is the only state that requires you to have a CDL if your commercial/any size, correct? Your thoughts? Chris

10. mikeshauling

mikeshauling Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2011
    So. ILLINOIS
    Registered weight is what they are looking for on the 26000 deal. I have an H plate (26000) on my 3500 ram dually. I run an ST non weighted plate on my goosenecks. My truck plate carries all the weight. I do not have to mess with IRP fuel tax stuff. No fuel sticker stuff. Been doing this 12 years like this all over the place, no problem. As long as i dont go over 26000 , im fine. No CDL required, although i have mine.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.