Non-Spicer U-joint

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by God prefers Diesels, Oct 15, 2021.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Wish I was lucky enough to get u-joints out with a bottle jack. Seems like most of the time its Tiger Tool & 3/4" drive impact and then beat the crap out of it with a sledge. Sometimes a torch gets added into the mix.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    Broke my last one with a 3/4" impact. Broke the ears right off. Had to finish with a hammer. New tool just came in this week.

4. Flint1

Flint1 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Alberta
    If I need to beat or torch, I just cut the joint, take the middle out of the caps with the torch, and drive em out. Taking the grease fitting out or opening a cap first to prevent grease pressurizing is a good safety tip.
    If the tiger tool works its awesome. I find once you start beating, the caps and ears misaline and fight the whole way out.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    God prefers Diesels and Goodysnap Thank this.
  5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

They make a U-joint press, I bought one and it works pretty good. That hammer action can get painful if you get your sore finger caught between the handle and the frame rail or something lol, good thing you took it out…

6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The tiger tools works swell and everthing must stay in line. When a cap or the tool gets crooked the part/tool binds and it puts alot of tension. Smack the drive screw like an anvil to relax the press and pop the cap. Adding too much torque is without relaxing the tool is what breaks it.

Torching the cross and CP717 to drive the caps is also a great method.

New joints always assemble by hand or with a small dead blow to tap them home. 1" flapper wheel to the yoke bores and a wire wheel or fine flat file to the flanges.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.