Oil Pressure DD15

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by hewlett87, Dec 10, 2015.

1. hewlett87

hewlett87 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2015
    I have 2016 Cascadia with DD15. I had oil changed yesterday and now oil pressure is higher then it was before. When I'm cruising at 65mph oil pressure is around 55-56psi and it was around 47-48 before oil change. So I'm just wondering if that 55-56psi is too high or it's normal.
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    It's normal for higher psi after a change. As for if it's too high, I think you're ok. Nothing says your gauge is accurate. My truck (diff motor) runs about 43 after a change and once the engine is warm. Once it drops to 38 or so, I really start paying attention because it's generally close to my oil change interval.

4. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    of course it's higher. it's supposed to be. it will always be higher when oil is new & gradually go down in pressure as miles are added.

5. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Thats because your old oil filter was plugged with the soot. Now that you changed oil and filter your oil pressure is higher.

6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    on dd15 most important is the pressure reading at idle. the pressure reading (when you take off your foot from acceleration pedal and engines rpm goes to 600-650 rpm) must not be less than 15psi. if it goes below 15 psi you have a problem--> bad pickup tube O-rings or worn crank main bearings

sra_sandeep and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  7. d60-14

d60-14 Light Load Member

May 23, 2012
    I agree, dd15 is a very good engine, but the DPF is increasing the engine operational temperature and shortens it's life. Also the jake brake is oil driven, so if your bearings are worn out - you have no jake brake. The solution is to use only 100% synthetic oil and change it every 10k miles. If you don't believe me - you probably end up changing all the bearings every 300k miles.

8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I would say oil change every 15-18k.

9. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Was it the first oil change? You do know that the factory fill oil is a 10w30, right? If you went to a 15w40, you would see a overall PSI hike. But not as much of a hike as you describe.

While I like using a syn blend, full synthetics are overrated. What many don't realize is that 20% of any motor oil is additive package. It is the formulation of the additive package that makes any oil good, better, or best. Base oil refining technology has come a long ways in just the last decade. While the argument of full synthetics was very valid a decade or more ago, it is not as big of a leap from conventional oils today. And it is the additive package that does more for protecting bearings, cams, etc than the oil itself. You need a well balanced blend of various components in the add pack to do all that is needed. A healthy blend of zinc, moly, and boron is needed to provide the extreme pressure and friction modification needed by cams and bearings. There needs to be healthy levels of calcium, phosphorus, and sometimes even sodium to provide acid control and corrosion protection. Even a full synthetic with a mediocre add pack is worse than a conventional with a very strong add pack. Full synthetics really mean more when it comes to wild temperature extremes like operating in extreme cold all the time. You just can't get a 5w40, for instance, using a conventional oil. And there is some validity that synthetics have lower NOACK (burn off) ratings than most conventionals. But I have found that blends, along with a strong add pack, offer a great balance of all of the best features desired in a motor oil and are very cost effective.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    cascadia4life Thanks this.
  10. Super13

Super13 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2019
    Great information sr

11. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I run 15/40 in both my DD15’s 2017
    Brother and his wife team it has 891k and 30 k oil changes. Oil lab sample results come back great
    My 2020 DD15 also runs 15/40 382k and oil lab results are normal
    Neither engine idles hardly at all
    Both trucks have had nothing but Delvac
    15/40 my experience only
    Neither engine uses any oil between changes

cascadia4life Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.