Old Union 76 in Goodman/Pickens, Mississippi

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by bthomann, Jun 9, 2021.

1. bthomann

bthomann Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2020
    Thanks, Clausland! What makes that fact even more mysterious is the fact that I talked to a
    retired driver who says he didn't remember it going out of business until the mid-90's or so. I
    almost wonder if it was an independent 76 fuel vendor that wasn't part of the company. But
    they still would have listed it along with the company-owned stops, wouldn't they? (Shrug)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    The 1988 directory states that they were all dealer independently owned & operated. Some of the stops were in blue, denoting trucks only, and orange, serving both cars & trucks. Some had a lot of services, while others weren't open 24/7. Also, by this time they were known as Unocal 76. I had older directory's, ('70's) at one point, but this one from '88 is the only one left. I found it in the big box with all my old big city atlases, no internet, cell phones, or gps back then. Unlike now, it was common back then to get on the CB and someone could direct you in. Folks helped one another more back then. I once had an atlas that listed every (almost every) low underpass state by state, don't know what happened to that though.

bthomann and navypoppop Thank this.
  4. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Just had a small convenience store near me do a remodel and they are now a Union 76 gas station. Not another one anywhere nearby. The day clerk only speaks Spanish so she couldn't answer my question about if they(Union 76) are expanding in the DFW area.

bthomann Thanks this.
  5. bthomann

Sep 26, 2020
    Yep, definitely sad that the era of truck drivers bring known as the "white knights of the road" is being replaced by greedy corporations and drivers who are no more than steering wheel holders who stop in, get fuel, and leave. And people wonder why we have travel centers like Pilot without full-service restaurants and amenities like they used to.

6. bthomann

Sep 26, 2020
    From what I understand, the current Union 76 brand is owned by ConocoPhillips corporation and is not related to the Union 76 we all know and love out of California. But I suppose they are expanding the brand rather fast. I know there are quite a few new locations in Arizona and New Mexico.

Nice to meet you, Buzzarddriver. I've seen your past posts on old truck stops and was hoping we'd get a chance to chat sometime. What is your favorite truck stop of the past and why? Mine is either Hamilton's 76 in LaSalle/Peru, Illinois or 40 Acre in Lakeland, Florida. I went to both as a kid and was fascinated. Hamilton's, I believe, still offered full-service truck washing and windshield cleaning up until it closed and sold out to Crazy D's in 1999 or so. It also was a Dixie franchise for a while in the early 2000's after Crazy D's sold it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  7. bthomann

Sep 26, 2020
    Hmm, my mystery continues, then! Wish I had one of those directories. I've looked on eBay and Craig's List, but no success.

baha and navypoppop Thank this.
  8. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    bthomann,

You are going to become the "go to guy" for anyone with a question on old truckstops my friend. I totally have been enjoying any of your posts because most bring back some fond memories of my days on the road. Now I enjoy my travels in a different form as my avatar photo shows my "road rig" that I currently drive. Keep your posts coming.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.