one of our drivers tells me he runs with a radar detector

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    It's an inner cry for help...

manchild.jpg

4. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I don't speed in my truck. There is very little Lazer being using where I live, haven't run into it yet. The vast majority of what is out here is radar. Lazer is used in situations of multiple Lanes of heavy traffic so they can easily pick off individual cars.

I just wondered what kind of ticket is issued just for having the detector in a cmv, I know it goes against fmsca. Our trucks are governed at 65. So if the dot catches you with one, what happens?

I run one in my car because I got a 53 in a 40 not that long ago in a small town. It will get reduced to a parking ticket but I don't want anymore. I got screwed on my way to work at 5am. I screwed up and speed up before the speed zone change back to 55. The small town will reduce it because they want the money to stay in the town. I got busted with radar.

I have a uniden r3 in my car, it has a detection range well in excess of a mile and is Spector immune. Spector is the radar detector, detector the cops have.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    mickey mad dog Thanks this.
  5. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I run one and been caught first time was a warning. Second time they took it away. It’s been years but I’m smarter these days lol. And I only run it in Cali. Otherwise I don’t drive fast enough in other states to need it.

6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Hey Folks..........

Ya know-Radar detectors were BIG when we were a uniform 55mph, yes,it got a lil boring at times-And most of us had a Motorola.

Today- Unless your West of the Mississippi river- WHY?

Our speed limits have increased ..BUT Theirs no consistency to Keeping up with that speed TODAY.

Sure,Some states let you do 65-70 out east- But You'll never Keep that up with the Amount of traffic.

You Don't need a Radar because You'll never Get much of a chance to Show what you got!!!

You guys that Love your Cruise Control, Makes ya mad when you constantly have to Back out of it doesn't it??

These highways today cannot accommodate the traffic as it is, So ,You'll Be feathering that Fuel Pedal the rest of your days Unless about a third of traffic goes away.

Now,You guys that Travel Out West- A Little easier to find consistency with your speed.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    To be honest about it all in today's world, radar detectors are basically useless. I was speaking to a driver several months ago that got tagged by a cop running VASCAR with a partner. VASCAR for those of you that don't know is basically a stop watch. Then the laser system is almost undetectable. Even with the older radar systems if you are out in the California desert and there is no traffic ahead of you and that sucker goes off your dead. For a detector to be really useful the driver MUST understand it's limitations. Otherwise all it does is give a driver a false sense of security. Cops love giving speeding tickets to drivers deploying detectors and they do it almost every day in the US.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You all can debate the issue of what is being used, but as a fleet owner, there are issues that I have to deal with and some of them I am not nice about when I correct problems.

Radar detectors are illegal in commercial vehicles under fmcsa regs and under most state laws.

If a driver admitted to me that he is running one, he ain't my driver any more. Yes that's my job, to keep the violations down, to keep the trucks running and to have a driver get caught with it seems to only lead to one thing - more ***** work for me.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    All the fleet owners I know tell me that they won't take a job action against a driver found with a detector. They will however tell the driver the use of one is illegal and warn them about repeated use. Good safe drivers that make appointments and handle a truck safely are a rare breed today, to just toss one away like that makes no sense to them. In Virginia using one is illegal in any vehicle. I used to use one many moons ago. I got tired of all the false alerts. I finally got tired of them and gave mine away.

10. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Those that I know do otherwise. They can't afford the issues like this to pop up and becuase it triggers more than an inspection like insurance reviews, it is one issue that is mitigated quickly by owners who are pro-active.

It is illegal, cops are not your freind and when you get inspected and they see one, they act like pricks.

The less they have as an excuse to do more than a warning, the better it is for all of us.

11. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Oh and moose, I have a couple of them I used to use too. I got tired of the false reporting along the freeway in the city.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.